beef heart for T dinner

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Hello everyone, heres another question from this newbie....Ive read several posts where you guys have talked about using beef heart for Ts. My question is this....can you use any part of the heart? And apporixmately how much do you feed? Ok I realize that depends on the size of the spider, but Im looking for just a visual. Also what size spider can eat heart? The reason why Im curious is Ive got this beef heart in my freezer from when we got our half beef. And Im just tickled theres a reason I hung on to it!!

thanks for your help!
Jen

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, any part, cut up relative to spider size.
However, a word of caution.
Galeogirl lost alot of slings to bad beef heart. Make certain it's not gone bad before feeding it to your spiders!

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
yes, any part, cut up relative to spider size.
Galeogirl lost alot of slings to bad beef heart. Make certain it's not gone bad before feeding it to your spiders!
Thanks, Im assuming its still good. Its been frozen since I got it. Oh Im also assuming you feed it raw?

Jen

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Make sure you warm it before trying to use it. Just place in a sink with warm water(in a plastic bag) until it is the right temp.

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
Make sure you warm it before trying to use it. Just place in a sink with warm water(in a plastic bag) until it is the right temp.
As Im brainstorming here, I was thinking about a type of frozen fish food I fed. I came in a container smiliar to a teeny ice cube tray. Thinking maybe I could do that and make several prepared meals. I guess thats the mom in me HEE HEE

thanks everyone...Hey Immortal Sin, where in Oregon are you???

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, I use cubed frozen beef heart (the fish food!)
I'm in Forest Grove...do you know where that is? Where are you?

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
yes, I use cubed frozen beef heart (the fish food!)
I'm in Forest Grove...do you know where that is? Where are you?
Im in Adrian, Right along the Oregon Idaho border. I grew up in Salem so I know where you are!! Actually I will be over there next month. My son has an appt at Shriners.

back to the heart....I never thought of the fish food before; I was thinking of the gum drop containers. To put the heart I have in those. But just buying is prolly lots less work HEE HEE

Jen

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
you can do it either way...I have also used beef heart from Fred Meyers
Let me know when you'll be over this way..I'll send you a PM or email!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Hi Holley,
How's T life :) This point you mentioned above is interesting. I say this because T's are without doubt scavengers and prey on rotting carcasses, their digestive enzymes are powerful. I don't doubt the report, but I am curious as to what could have done it. I've been feeding beef heart for years to my T's and many like to let the heart get a bit rotten, then hook in.

Steve

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
This point you mentioned above is interesting. I say this because T's are without doubt scavengers and prey on rotting carcasses, their digestive enzymes are powerful. I don't doubt the report, but I am curious as to what could have done it.
Steve, you can read the original acccount here.

I am also puzzled as to mechanism, but she lost sixteen slings and the only common factor was the beef heart she had been feeding. The best I could come up with is the idea that although they are carrion feeders, it doesn't necessarily mean they're immune to any and all bacterial toxins, external digestive enzymes or not. It was probably a freak occurrence and I've never seen an account like it anywhere else, but since it did evidently happen, it's food for thought.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Chip,
Bacterial infection could make sense. There's no doubt that most bacteria are overcome during the digestive process, but likely not all, particularly when many good bacteria are killed off or simply not available in a captive environment. Given tarantulas will evolve within their natural environment to eat carrion, doesn't mean when placed in captivity for such a short time (in evolutionary terms), they will cope just as well in such a foriegn environment. I'm interested in this topic greatly due to a loss I've suffered with feeding tainted mealworms to several prize T's, all of whom died. I traced that back to the food too.

Thanks for the input.
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
How often do you feed beefheart to Tarantulas?
Maybe once every three months or so. Mine feed primarily on invertebrate prey. When I do feed beef heart, every spider gets
it, right on down to second instar.

Steve