Bedding?

B.L.

Arachnopeon
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes.....I have been keeping my Theraphosa Blondi on potting soil is this ok? I was thinking of adding pete moss but the only kind I can find has miracle grow added to it. I don't know if this would be bad for me T. Blondi but I'm guessing yes so I didn't add it. Am I correct? Also the soil I used is organic. I assume thats better. I figure they are naturally found in soil environment/rainforrest so I did not add sand or any wood products. I also cut a plastic plant pot and laid in she can hide in there. Plus few plastic plants its 20 gallon long tank. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Potting soil is fine. I use compacted peat moss. That works well and holds moisture better, well not better but peat at least allows for there to be evaporation of the water so there is no rotting smell.
I have noticed with potting soil if you keep it on the wetter side all the time it can start to stink. But I dont see it causing any problems. Yes fertalizer of any kind is a bad idea so stay away from that as well, anything natural with no chemical additives use everything else dont.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Regular peat moss with nothing added can be bought at garden center type stores. I had to go to a place that only sells gardenin, landscaping, planting type stuff. It'll be in back with all the bagged topsoil, mulch etc. Try to find a bag with no holes or tears in it to ensure the contents aren't wet and possibly moldy.

I noticed you said you're keeping your blondi in a 20 gallon tank. Is she a full sized mature spider (8"+ for a blondi)? If she's still a little girl then that tank is way too big.

B.L.

Arachnopeon
Regular peat moss with nothing added can be bought at garden center type stores. I had to go to a place that only sells gardenin, landscaping, planting type stuff. It'll be in back with all the bagged topsoil, mulch etc. Try to find a bag with no holes or tears in it to ensure the contents aren't wet and possibly moldy.

I noticed you said you're keeping your blondi in a 20 gallon tank. Is she a full sized mature spider (8"+ for a blondi)? If she's still a little girl then that tank is way too big.
I tried to find the peat moss at home depo and wal-mart type places but there's all has the chemicals in it. No the blondi is only about 3 or 4 inches I thought the container she came in was a little too small. I have kept rose hairs and pink toes in the 5 and 10 gallons without problems so I figured the bigger t's need minimum 20 gallon. I don't touch or handle my t's like a lot of people so I figured that would be her one and only cage.

B.L.

Arachnopeon
Potting soil is fine. I use compacted peat moss. That works well and holds moisture better, well not better but peat at least allows for there to be evaporation of the water so there is no rotting smell.
I have noticed with potting soil if you keep it on the wetter side all the time it can start to stink. But I dont see it causing any problems. Yes fertalizer of any kind is a bad idea so stay away from that as well, anything natural with no chemical additives use everything else dont.
Sounds like I am doing alright so far then. I guess I could add a layer of peat on top of the soil thats already present.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes.....I have been keeping my Theraphosa Blondi on potting soil is this ok? I was thinking of adding pete moss but the only kind I can find has miracle grow added to it. I don't know if this would be bad for me T. Blondi but I'm guessing yes so I didn't add it. Am I correct? Also the soil I used is organic. I assume thats better. I figure they are naturally found in soil environment/rainforrest so I did not add sand or any wood products. I also cut a plastic plant pot and laid in she can hide in there. Plus few plastic plants its 20 gallon long tank. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Potting soil should be fine as long as there are no chemicals or anything like that in it. Whats your using now should be fine since it says it is natural. Just keep her the way you have her and enjoy her. Btw, how big is she?

B.L.

Arachnopeon
Potting soil should be fine as long as there are no chemicals or anything like that in it. Whats your using now should be fine since it says it is natural. Just keep her the way you have her and enjoy her. Btw, how big is she?
About 3 inches is all.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For a 3" T of any kind 20 gal is way to much.

Id use a med/lrg kritter keeper, or if you like glass at the most a 10 gal for the time being.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For a 3" T of any kind 20 gal is way to much.

Id use a med/lrg kritter keeper, or if you like glass at the most a 10 gal for the time being.
Sorry to disagree Ryan, :D but I think that there is no cage to big for a T, atleast IME. I had a G.rosea in a 40 gal. for a couple of months and she was fine in there. As long as the height isn't high enough for them to injure themselves I see no problems. In the wild, there is unlimited space for them to travel. See what I'm getting at?

I know ALOT of people will disagree with my opinion, but I don't care, what works and has worked for me is going to stay. :eek:

About 3 inches is all.
Oh pretty small still, are you sure it's a female, or just saying it is?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry to disagree Ryan, :D but I think that there is no cage to big for a T, atleast IME. I had a G.rosea in a 40 gal. for a couple of months and she was fine in there. As long as the height isn't high enough for them to injure themselves I see no problems. In the wild, there is unlimited space for them to travel. See what I'm getting at?

I know ALOT of people will disagree with my opinion, but I don't care, what works and has worked for me is going to stay. :eek:

40 gal!!!!!!!!!! To each his or her own.;)

B.L.

Arachnopeon

LOL according to the supplier I bought it from its female....fingers crossed I guess. :? I was hoping to eventually get a male and female pair.... but one's enough for now. Maybe I should call it it.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
40 gal!!!!!!!!!! To each his or her own.;)
Yup I totally agree! I was experimenting, I'll do it again sometime and get pics this time. To me, size of tank doesn't matter. I prefer smaller now though because my Ts keep racking up and up.

LOL according to the supplier I bought it from its female....fingers crossed I guess. :? I was hoping to eventually get a male and female pair.... but one's enough for now. Maybe I should call it it.

No, call it a she cause that is what you want. It's a luck thing. So good luck!