Bed-A-Beast

cweg

Arachnopeon
I would like to here some experience using compressed cocnut husk as substrate. I have seen this stuff that comes in a brick and you expand it in water. I was wondering how it holds up to mold and drying out. Thanks

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by cweg
I would like to here some experience using compressed cocnut husk as substrate. I have seen this stuff that comes in a brick and you expand it in water. I was wondering how it holds up to mold and drying out. Thanks
I am using it with one of my tarantulas, mixed about 50/50 with 'Jungle mix" It allows for good burrowing,as the fibers hold up very well. Holds moisture pretty well, and I haven't seen any mold on that. I've only seen mold growing on my peat moss in another tank.

Bill

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hold moisture great! I use it. Unfortunately my tarantula are a Usumbara and Rose hair..they don't need moisture and I have no choice.

Last edited:

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I second what conipto has to say.. I've seen it in use before (minus jungle mix) and it holds moisture well. I haven't seen mold grow on it.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I did quite well for a long time using "Forrest Floor". When I tried "Bed a Beast", it had a strong smell and my tarantulas hated it. I don't know if it was mold or pesticide, but after hearing information about how coconuts are a cash crop, and as such are likely to receive pesticide, I havd decided to no longer use it -- any brand. I have gone to using peat/soil.

Good Luck
Big Dragonfly