Bearded or Frilled? Help on first lizard.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually not my very first. I've kept salamanders, skinks and geckos as a child. But I haven't cared for one in a long time. I'm more of a scorp and T keeper. I have successfully raised and bred different species. So I'm looking at a possibility of adding a reptile in my list.

Fortunately, a friend of mine is offering me a bearded dragon (regular color) or a frilled lizard for the same price. I can only afford 1 right now. I have been researching for the past 2 weeks and I can't seem to make a decision.

So for you experienced keepers, between the two mentioned, what will you suggest to a newbie like me?

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
frilleds are rather high-matainence and get pretty big. i'd say go with the bearded.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
id go with the bearded dragon. the are beautiful especially the color morphs plus probably cheap from a breeder

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it is a baby or small juvenile, then I would stay away from the bearded dragons. The young ones are extremely hard to care for and sometimes die without reason. A local store owner from my hometown breeds them for his shop and will only sell to people who pass certain standards for this reason. If it is an adult, or a large sub-adult, then I would go for the bearded dragon.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I adore the frilled. They aren't as laid back as the beardies but they have a lot of personality. They do need at least a 55G (a little bit bigger of a tank than a beardie would require). They also require a more arboreal setup as well. Gorgeous lizards.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you havent kept lizards for a while then I would definately say go with the beardie. They have masses of personality and tame brilliantly, and will ony require a 4'x2'x2' vivarium. They are gregarious in nature, much like dogs, and so will need a fair amount of daily interaction to keep them mentally stimulated.

Frillies are best left for when you have a little more experience. They require very precise conditions and are prone to skin infections, they also seem to develop MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease - a form of osteomalacia from a lack of calcium supplement in the diet) much quicker and easier than other species. They also require a bigger enclosure, a minimum of 4'x5'x2' for a single adult.

Hope this helps!

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it is a baby or small juvenile, then I would stay away from the bearded dragons. The young ones are extremely hard to care for and sometimes die without reason.
It is a juvenile at 10-12 inches.

If you havent kept lizards for a while then I would definately say go with the beardie. They have masses of personality and tame brilliantly, and will ony require a 4'x2'x2' vivarium. They are gregarious in nature, much like dogs, and so will need a fair amount of daily interaction to keep them mentally stimulated.

Frillies are best left for when you have a little more experience. They require very precise conditions and are prone to skin infections, they also seem to develop MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease - a form of osteomalacia from a lack of calcium supplement in the diet) much quicker and easier than other species. They also require a bigger enclosure, a minimum of 4'x5'x2' for a single adult.

Hope this helps!
Thanks everyone for your quick replies!

Enclosure set-up will not be too much of a problem. I live in a tropical country where it is sunny and warm most of the time. I'm planning to place the enclosure in an area where there will be sufficient natural sunlight for basking.

Now, I'm now more inclined to get the bearded dragon. I just need to set-up additional breeding containers for feeder roaches and crickets.

Incidentally, I caught a 5 inch juvenile tokay gecko today. I found it behind a cabinet with another adult gecko 12 inch long. Hopefully, this will be my trial run to get used to lizards again. I will just set it free once I get tired of it.