Battle of the feeders 👑 ? War !

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No clue, definitely research before getting them. I'd make sure anything can escape temps over 90 if it wants to though.
I’ll do some more research but I think I need to focus on keeping my orange head roaches happy before adding a 3rd species of roach .
I got my dubia set on 90 until it gets established then I’m going down but it’s a 27 gal container with loads and loads of hiding places . So much so the nymphs were hiding I had to look for them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
How do Lats compare to discoids ?!? I’m looking at another roach species …as my orange colony is failing .
Lats vs discoids :D :artist: :alien

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
How many Shelfordella lateralis? are required to start a colony. To feed 3-7 Ts .lats vs crickets basically ???

Last edited:

ATPikachu

Arachnopeon
I did my university dissertation on the nutritional composition of live food species fed to reptiles, it was super interesting and I reckon if I threw a GAL in with the murderous pulchripes they'd eat it....but discounting GALs it'd be...

Dubias
Other roaches
Calciworms
Other worms
Locusts

I bloody hate crickets, but feed them if I have to...living on an island has its downsides!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I did my university dissertation on the nutritional composition of live food species fed to reptiles, it was super interesting and I reckon if I threw a GAL in with the murderous pulchripes they'd eat it....but discounting GALs it'd be...

Dubias
Other roaches
Calciworms
Other worms
Locusts

I bloody hate crickets, but feed them if I have to...living on an island has its downsides!
Do I need another roach species like lats for diversity in their diet or no.?
Dubia are my main feeder.I can’t find cheap lats.

Last edited:

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
You don't need to diversify roaches. If you wanna feed a few different types you can but you don't need to.

I'm honestly not liking my lat colony. They've only laid 3 ootheca in the last few months and none of them hatched. Not sure what's up with them. Dubia are breeding like crazy though.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You don't need to diversify roaches. If you wanna feed a few different types you can but you don't need to.

I'm honestly not liking my lat colony. They've only laid 3 ootheca in the last few months and none of them hatched. Not sure what's up with them. Dubia are breeding like crazy though.
I wanted something dubia sized to be an alternative occasionally for variety but I didn’t buy near enough orange head roaches so I’m 4-12 months away from having enough of those to feed any off.
guess dubia win this round. I’ve not tried lats but people rave over those.

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
I was wondering what your favorites are for feeders and or what your top 5 or 10’of them are .
I’ve been trying to raise an Orange head roach colony and I’m not sure how it will pan out , but I’ve considered others like b lats , discoids , orientals , deaths head, and I prefer roaches that both genders are easy to identify but with;
  • Orange head roaches I have a harder time guessing the gender I have to individually check them and nymphs I cannot tell .
I use them in this order of favorites.
  1. Dubia roaches
  2. Orange head roaches
  3. Super-worms
  4. Crickets
  5. Mealworms
Variety is my main goal but I can also do so feeding a good gut load diet to my roaches which are fed like kings 👑 ..
Here’s an idea of the feast they get . I’ve not added a cleaner crew yet .
And no I’m not making a bug feeder gladiatorium despite the title . :rofl: :drowning: A quality feeder = a happy t
Orange roach + 🍊= orange tarantula is the given math on this site .
They eat like a king 👑 & do the rumba.. Congo line !!
View attachment 451330
Locusts

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Any idea if Dubia breed room temp what’s the lowest temp they can breed?
I agree, crickets are great feeders and my usual go to!

Agreed!

Then OP I go to mealworms, waxworms, roaches I usually use for anything that needs large prey meals.
I made this thread then most my Ts went on hunger strikes . I did get mealworms for variety after your suggestions . Losing a lot of pupas IMG_9020.jpeg

drurymercy

Arachnosquire
I was wondering what your favorites are for feeders and or what your top 5 or 10’of them are .
I’ve been trying to raise an Orange head roach colony and I’m not sure how it will pan out , but I’ve considered others like b lats , discoids , orientals , deaths head, and I prefer roaches that both genders are easy to identify but with;
  • Orange head roaches I have a harder time guessing the gender I have to individually check them and nymphs I cannot tell .
I use them in this order of favorites.
  1. Dubia roaches
  2. Orange head roaches
  3. Super-worms
  4. Crickets
  5. Mealworms
Variety is my main goal but I can also do so feeding a good gut load diet to my roaches which are fed like kings 👑 ..
Here’s an idea of the feast they get . I’ve not added a cleaner crew yet .
And no I’m not making a bug feeder gladiatorium despite the title . :rofl: :drowning: A quality feeder = a happy t
Orange roach + 🍊= orange tarantula is the given math on this site .
They eat like a king 👑 & do the rumba.. Congo line !!
View attachment 451330
Wait I can add a cleaner crew in with my dubias? How about crickets? lol those guys smell a bit!! I’m constantly cleaning and picking stuff out of their crate

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wait I can add a cleaner crew in with my dubias? How about crickets? lol those guys smell a bit!! I’m constantly cleaning and picking stuff out of their crate
Yes I’m trying regular mealworms(so far failed), but the lesser mealworms are better. There’s a few type of Beatles that work. Crickets would be Civil War. I might even have a thread on cleaner crews but ehh it more about fly invasion but it’s an easy search for this topic should be tons of threads about it or sites .

drurymercy

Arachnosquire
Yes I’m trying regular mealworms(so far failed), but the lesser mealworms are better. There’s a few type of Beatles that work. Crickets would be Civil War. I might even have a thread on cleaner crews but ehh it more about fly invasion but it’s an easy search for this topic should be tons of threads about it or sites .
Omg thank u!! I’m getting off work in 5 I will go drop some worms in with my roaches and research for the crickets brilliant idea!!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Any idea if Dubia breed room temp what’s the lowest temp they can breed?

I made this thread then most my Ts went on hunger strikes . I did get mealworms for variety after your suggestions . Losing a lot of pupas View attachment 474716
You may want some substrate for the mealworms like oat that they like food wise. But yeah it’s easier to keep on hand or get them that crickets can be

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You may want some substrate for the mealworms like oat that they like food wise. But yeah it’s easier to keep on hand or get them that crickets can be
That was my pupa tank so the worms don’t eat them. IMG_9101.jpeg
I’ll upload new pics to this thread soon.

drurymercy

Arachnosquire
I actually bought some mealworm, dubia, and cricket food! I have lots of oats!! I’ll add some!

drurymercy

Arachnosquire
That was my pupa tank so the worms don’t eat them. View attachment 474779
I’ll upload new pics to this thread soon.
Omg I love this link!! Thank u!