basic stuff

Nathan Danger

Arachnopeon
does anyone know where i can find a good reference as to which species are considered old world verses new world...is it literally old world meaning far east and europe and such verses the americas ?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well lets see...

i believe that the Tarantula Keepers guide has them listed in the back..I dont have my book handy, but I know that they are listed..they might say old world or New there..if there is a particular one you are interested in, Kelly Swift (swifts invertebrates) has them listed with Old WOrld and New World next to there names on his site...

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nathan Danger
does anyone know where i can find a good reference as to which species are considered old world verses new world...is it literally old world meaning far east and europe and such verses the americas ?
The terms "old world" and "new world" do refer to the goegraphical old and new world locations from which the T originates.
Also, most new world T's possess the urticating hairs as a defense mechanism. (there are a couple sp. of NW T's that lack them though) There are no old world T's with urticating hairs. Old world T's for the most part tend to have a more toxic venom (obvious, due to the lack of any other physical defense) as well as much more attitude than NW'ers. Hope that helps some.

Atrax

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
"new world" describes T's from north america, mexico, carribean islands, central america, and south america

"old world" refers to T's found anywhere else that I did not list above.

Nathan Danger

Arachnopeon
i new the difference in how they defend themselves but i wasn't sure about the actual classification...thanks so much...all of you.