ball tailed lizard

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok a friend of mine wants one of these things badly. he seen them a few years ago. and dosn't know what they're called. he said they have spikes all over there body and a big ball at the end of the tail (like the dinosaur) we ordered whats called a round tail desert horned lizard and that wasn't it. so if anyone has any idea of what these are please let me know and a picture would also help. oh and he also said that theyre as big as your hand so if that helps any?

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Could you be thinking of a knob-tailed gecko? I think they're an Australian species.

Bry

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no thats not it, it has spikes all over its body, he said that the spikes are soft and the ball at the end of the tail is about the size of a quarter. he said it was very friendly.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you might also want your friend to check out crested geckos. they are very easy to keep, room temps are fine, no UV lights are needed, they eat baby food and insects, they are available in lots of different colors. get up to about 10" when adult sized. I have a juv male and a unsexed hatchling, do a search in this forum and check out their pics.
Ed

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm almost positive its not a gecko. it looks something like a horny toad if you know what that is

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah its suposed to look just like one of those only with a ball at the end of its tail

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there are different horned toads species.

If it is a horned toad there are a few different ones but they are all rather tough to keep going in captivity. You will also need to constantly order ants to feed them if you get one as they feed on a specific ant and will die if they don't have it for a food source.

Phil

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is your friend thinking about the Shingleback Skink (Tiliqua rugosa). They look very dinosaur like. They are also not very cheap or available. I've seen them on pricelists for at least $1500.
They are very cool looking lizards and defenitely remind me of dinosaurs.
Mike