ball python help

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yowch-I can only imagine an ETB bite(or a retic to the face-that must have smarted a bit). I remembered the whole alcoholic drink thing which we didn't have any close at hand oddly-but its good to know vinegar may work well also. It bled quite a bit(all over the snake and into the soaking bowl LOL), but only hurt when the snake was shifting its grip on my hand. I guess we will assume this was a feeding bite?

I'd like to get some advice on what to do with this snake though.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Vinegar works wonders, too-most animals absolutely HATE it and will let go immediately if you put a few drops in their mouths! Problem is, it smells like vinegar, and personally, I'd rather smell any "adult beverage" than vinegar. At least alcohol evaporates quickly. I had to use vinegar to remove a very large adult female Emerald Tree Boa from my hand and arm(strong feeding response, bad aim), and if you have ever seen the teeth those babies have, you will understand why I needed her to let go FAST! That is by far the worse non-ven bite I've had, and I've been bitten by some pretty big Retics, Colombian Boas and Burms. Even the really ticked-off 14-foot wild-caught Retic that nailed me square in the face couldn't hold a candle to that six-and-a-half-foot Emmy.

pitbulllady

Is vinegar or alcohol bad for the snake? I would think alcohol might be more problematic than vinegar as far as health effects to the snake. I mean, ultimately, if a snake is constricting you, it's more important to get it to quit than anything else, but would vinegar be better for the snake's health? Or does it not really matter?