Baking soda on a tarantula bite?

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Applying a baking soda paste (baking soda+water) relieves the symptoms of wasp stings. I read that it breaks down the proteins in the venom from bees and wasps but... Has anyone tried it on a tarantula bites?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Applying a baking soda paste (baking soda+water) relieves the symptoms of wasp stings. I read that it breaks down the proteins in the venom from bees and wasps but... Has anyone tried it on a tarantula bites?
Not saying its impossible, but how could baking soda break down the venom, if the venom was injected, and the baking soda was applied externally? I always believe the baking soda remedy to be a old wives tale. What people experience is the cool sensation of the baking soda invigorating the skin when first added to a bee sting. Just an opinion though.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not saying its impossible, but how could baking soda break down the venom, if the venom was injected, and the baking soda was applied externally? I always believe the baking soda remedy to be a old wives tale. What people experience is the cool sensation of the baking soda invigorating the skin when first added to a bee sting. Just an opinion though.
It is said that "it works on an alkaline versus acidity principle"... though it may not absorb the venom it does have a soothing effect on wasp stings. Also store bought sting aids contain baking soda. When using the bakng soda paste on stings when I was younger I notice that after the paste dried completely it would develope a wet spot (not blood) where the sting was located.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is said that "it works on an alkaline versus acidity principle"... though it may not absorb the venom it does have a soothing effect on wasp stings. Also store bought sting aids contain baking soda. When using the bakng soda paste on stings when I was younger I notice that after the paste dried completely it would develope a wet spot (not blood) where the sting was located.
Interesting, so it causes a drawing of the venom?

At first I couldnt put a topical solution to a injected issue together. Eh, morning blues , lol :D

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think the main point of effectiveness with baking soda is, like you said, in that it draws fluids out of the wound as it dries. When I was a kid my mother used to treat stings, bug bites and poison ivy, even pimples with "green clay" for basically the same reason. It really does wonders for drawing out... anything.

I haven't seen it available anywhere recently except as an overpriced facial mask product but I bet it can be bought from some nature-food, super green, granola type stores.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I remember hearing about green clay growing up, along with Petrosalve. The old timers used it to draw out metal slivers they would get at the machine shop, kept their wound from getting that sore "puncture" infection.

Have not been bitten as of yet "knock on wood", but if I do ,anything along with benadryl and pain killers will be worth a shot. :)

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Green clay/clay mud masks/kaolin is an excellent drawing agent. You can also order it online.

Here's a page with some info http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/french-green-clay.php

Just look up herbs/green clay/online and see if there is a store or place you want to order from.

Comfrey root powder also works well, for healing and drawing (pus and splinters both). I have never been bitten (touch wood) but I've been stung by bees, wasps, and eaten hidiously by fire ants. Comfrey has been my lifesaver in those instances.

Marga

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll have to give this a try whenever I do mess up. Especially with the growing Pokies. {D