Bad Molt

peacefulagain

Arachnopeon
My Theraphosa Blondi (Her Majesty) molted last night. She lost one leg, and the other three on the same size are malformed. She also has one on the other side that is crooked. She is not bleeding from the joint of the leg that she lost. She is able to move herself around in a circle, but doesn't seem to be able to move across her dwelling. Is there any hope for her? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not really anything you can do to be honest. As long as you can get it to feed it should come out of it in a molt or 2.
BTW, what are the conditions you are keeping it? I know alot of the time bad molts are the result of conditions that are too dry. Please describe the container its kept in etc.

peacefulagain

Arachnopeon
She is in a 10 gallon aquarium. We have a layer of rocks and pebbles on the bottom, vermiculite on top of that, and then a mixture of peat, potting soil and vermiculite as a top layer. She has an open water dish. It is usually around 80 percent humidity in her dwelling, in the summer it is easier to maintain the humidity since it is naturally humid here during the summer. In the winter, I have to check humidity levels daily. I pour water through a PVC pipe into the rock layer of the tank, and I also mist the top layer when the humidity levels drop.

She has always waited for the food to come to her before eating, so I am not concerned about her not being able to catch her food.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I bet it will be ok as long as you can get it to eat