bad molt in progress.. please help.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my GBB has its old exuvium stuck in the Chelicerae part. he/she cant get it off. i tried to mist it so it would soften but no luck its still stuck. tried helping it by pulling it off but still its stuck. i feel that i even made it worse by trying to softly pull it because i think it injured the Chela. what else can i do? i think this could also cause death. i dont want to get to that point. so if anyone there could please share their experiences or advice i would pretty much appreciate it. thanks!

Last edited:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my advise would be to wet the end of a q tip with a water/dish soap mixture and place it on the chelicerae. Soap and water moistens it up and should allow the t to take it off. only a drop or two of dish soap will do as long as its mixed.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
many thanks to Talkenlate (Ryan) couldnt have done it without him:D :worship: ... managed to get the exuvium off but... i lost 2 pedipalps and i think the old fang is still attached.. meaning instead of the fang being tucked in i think its upright. i dont think it would be able to eat but i hope it would make it until its next molt. if not i guess its time for him/her to go to the spider heaven. i just hope that everything would go for the best. :(

Kagekumo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Way to save the day!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Try feeding it cricket legs and stuff it may manage with one fang in captivity

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh dear i'm a little late for advice, sorry :(
I was busy unpacking 64 legs, one of which was molting.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You should post that last picture you sent me when you were done. I dont think I have ever seen a bad molt like that. But like mentioned make sure it has water, and in a week or so you can offer prey and see what happens. If she does not take it she might not be able to eat, and in that case just hope it has enough stored up to make it through a recovery molt.

(fingers crossed) I know she means a lot to you.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as per Talkenlate's request here is the current pic of the GBB. shes not much to look at though but alive and still moving.:8o its kinda hard for me to look at her. it breaks me. really hope things turn out well.
*thanks Austin.S for the advice* much appreciated

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is that hemolymph that I see on the prosoma? If it is and its still oozing you can put a dab of baby powder on it. Glad The T pulled thru, do keep us posted. You may have to help it eat, by tweezer feeding it. It's no the one fang that worries me, but the loss of both pedipalps.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey guys. im worried that it wont be able to eat... Gesticulator can you teach me the tweezers thingy? just how do i go about that? i put a water dish inside the enclosure to prevent dehydration but wont the humidity kill it? :? still a lot of questions on my mind *sigh*:( the pedipalps as ive observed i think it stopped bleeding but im not quite sure. help me guys..... :( beginning to lose hope that this lil bugger will live..

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tweezer feeding is simply holding a cricket (in this case, I wld suggest freshly prekilled) with long tweezers up to the T's fangs and see if it takes it. But wait till a week has passed since the molt. Try once a day everyday, but remember that some T's don't eat till almost two weeks post molt. A water dish will do no harm.
Most importantly, don't beat yourself up over it if it doesn't make it. You can only do your best in trying to save it. We all have had mishaps with our critters and we learn from them.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just an update. it seems to like its water dish. i saw it one time it was like beside the water dish. im just not sure if it did drink. and i saw it weaving a web. is that a good sign? its brother molted just last night. it was a good molt. i will try feeding it with pre killed worms or cricket after a day or two. :)

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey! that sounds like good news, at least it's not in a death curl or limp and lifeless. hope it pulls through, good luck!

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well.. its official. its not eating. i guess it tried but wasnt able to. it just kept playing with it. tryin to bite i think but gave up eventually. i even crushed the head of the meal worm to get the juice out. i often see it on top of the water dish. if it cant eat or even suck then how can it drink water? :confused: do i have to give up hope or does it still have a chance?

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
feeding

I recall seeing a thread on here about a T that needed hand feeding, think it was Cacoseraph's? He actually got the T and hand fed the innards of superworms (I think). If the T is interested in food, it should be feedable! Might try PM'ing Caco to see if he's got some hints. Also, several people have recommended blenderizing some food items. If the T is drinking, it might be able to drink some Worm Smoothy. Definitely not time to give up, time for Plan B.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That might work if the T was a bit bigger. Hes got something less then two inches on hes hand. I dont see how he can hold the T and not kill it or drop it at some point. It would be really really hard.

In cases like this where there is a problmatic molt sometimes the T has enough stored up inside to make it though another molt to correct the problem.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sad to say yeah.. its only 3cm max. *fingers crossed* day by day i keep hopin it would molt. :(

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
baby food maybe? in a water dish like lamb or veal. i know its vertibrates but no bones and may get the bug thru till next molt

Cmendel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My GBB recently had molt problems aswell, ended up getting stuck. Unfourtently luck wasn't on my side:wall:

Wish you/it the best of luck.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@Cmendel
thanks a lot bro. :)

baby food? now thats an idea. is it possible? id like to hear feedbacks from others. but if all comes to worse id try it. thanks bro. :)