Bad molt? Euathlus sp red sling

Jayney

Arachnopeon
My 1/2 inch sling molted a week ago. I just noticed this shiny bald patch on its bum near the spinnerets. Is this something that I should be concerned about?

Attachments

Last edited:

Kymura

Arachnoknight
No, it's not from kicking hairs.
What makes you say this? They don't just kick them in defense, you may never see them kick hairs But that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't spread them around their burrow or enclosure, so I'm curious as to the reply.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If you are worried that it is something other than the lack of urticating hairs then can you provide a closer, brighter and clearer photograph of it. Do you think it is a cyst or something like that?

Jayney

Arachnopeon
If you are worried that it is something other than the lack of urticating hairs then can you provide a closer, brighter and clearer photograph of it. Do you think it is a cyst or something like that?
Yes I think it might be a cyst. the area is shiny and has a slight bulge. 20161101_225502.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yes I think it might be a cyst. the area is shiny and has a slight bulge. View attachment 223971
Ahhh my suspicions were right..

Thank you for posting a clearer photo :)

It did appear to be kicked hairs at first but that was looking at it from too far away. It now it looks to be a cyst. These aren't usually caused by moults. I haven't had to experience any myself yet so I am not sure what you can do.

I think that these are sometimes caused by dodgy feeders but I'm not 100%.

What do you feed it and where to you get your feeders?

I don't think there is much that you can do in the way of treating this. I think you will just have to wait until the next moult or two for it to pass.

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge on this can step in and give you more info.