• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Babycurus jacksoni

senor ocho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This sting occurred during routine care and maitenance at approx 10:12 PM about five months ago. I was feeding my baby Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail) and all was going well. There was one individual who was rather slow to eat. Since these scorps commonly play possum, I decided to nudge the food over to it. Lightning quick the lil bugger slammed me on the tip of my right index finger. He was only an inch and a half in length, but he punctured the skin. For my trouble, the stupid cricket hopped out and on to freedom. The pain came hard and fast. An intense throbbing more than burning, with intermittent tingling and paralysis in the finger from the tip to the knuckle. I immediately opened the bottle of Glenfiddich (good stuff for those who enjoy Scotch) and went to work not only self-medicating, but feeding and cleaning the rest of the lot. The booze didn't do much for the pain, but the rest of me was doing okay! The pain was more annoying than anything, but it lasted for 18 hours, not bad for such a little guy! I still work with Babycurus jacksoni in the same manner, just with a ton more admiration.
Chris
www.krazy8sinvertebrates.com

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sting happened after the male had mated, and stupidly as i was in a rush, i tryed to make him back away onto a piece of bark (for moving into another box) with my index finger, he reared up and *thwacked* me right by the nail

pain was very intense, though it was less painful than Hetetomerus spinifer

the pain lasted overnight, a throbing electrical pain as others have termed it,
in the few minutes following the sting, the pain spread up my vein, but only 2-3cm around my vein

then my heart started to hurt a bit, but im not sure whether i was imagining this
i felt slightly feint but didnt generally feel in danger of my life

when i woke up the next day my finger was very sensitive, and was tingling for the remainder of the day (especially when i touch things or type)

one good thing came out of this! my female is pregnant!!

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hit by 1" Babycurus Jacksoni

This just happened 30 minutes ago and was during removing pieces of crickets,and WHAM! he shot out from his hiding hole under some bark and flat nailed me with lightning speed on the back of my index finger.He drew blood but it was not really painful,other than the initial hit.I figure it was a warning shot,and was a dry sting.He is only about an inch,but this little guy has an attitude.

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got stung on the foot 10 min ago. :wall: Was packing some 4th instar B. jacksoni and one jumped to the floor. No real pain, but some itching, burning feeling. Like a wasp sting, but without the pain.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Happened about a month ago.

I was tagged by an adult B jacksoni, right above the cuticle of my fingernail on my left index finger. Instant intense but very brief pain similar to a bad C vittatus sting and succeeded in swelling the last digit of my index finger and raised a "blister" (or edema?) at the site of the sting. Unfortunately I am not sure the blister was a genuine blister because it disappeared after a week.

But the rest of the day my the tip of my finger tingled pleasantly especially when I applied pressure or pinched it. No other systematics.

Not something I want to experience again but happy to report I would rather get tagged by this than say Leiurus, Buthus, Androctonus, Pterinochilus, Pokies, any Asian tarantula, or S. subspinipes any day.

TarantulaInc

Arachnopeon
This sting happened a few months back.

We were at a show and I opened a B. jacksoni container with an adult female in it to show someone without the glare of the plastic over it. I had done this hundreds of times without incident, so perhaps wasn't paying as much attention to the scorpion as i should have. She got me on the index finger just above the knuckle. Finished the show, packed up and drove home.

I would relate the pain feeling like someone hit my finger with a hammer (and didn't hold back with the swing) The pain was most intense the first 24 hours, paralysis of the finger and then intense pain, minor swelling.

Took a benadryl and ibuprofen when it happened to be on the safe side.

Pain was still quite noticeable from 24-48 hours, but much more manageable and mobility began to return to the finger. By the third day the symptoms were pretty much non-existent. The pain was pretty much contained in the finger/hand, with a little throbbing occasionally up the forearm, but nothing further than that.

Little note: at the sting site immediately following you could actually see the venom spreading...white lines spread from the injection site into the veins.

The B. jacksoni are still probably my FAVORITE scorpion, just remember don't ever get TOO comfortable!

-Theresa

Triprion

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
This, my first "real" sting happened last night as I was unpackaging my two new jacksoni (sent from Adam at Jansen Exotics). During the process, one of the +/- 1" babies ran up my arm and came to rest on the underside of my arm, just above my elbow. My girlfriend, trying to help, tried to scoop it off my arm in to a salsa cup but accidentally pinched it's legs with the cup's rim which promptly ellicited a sting. The burn started immediately, and spread a couple inches from the injection site. When I woke up this morning the burn had mostly subsided, but the injection site still "tingles" and is tender when touched. I don't blame the little guy for what he did - I'd have defended myself from the evil salsa cup too!
-Tim

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not much of a sting report...........

So I bought a scorpling at the NARBC, very nice one too. [Red Phase.] Thanks again for all the wonderful inverts Tinc! I opened the container up a week later like normal and realized that a piece of cricket was molding so I took it out. But I guess the little scorp wasn't ready to let it go with her fat little belly. She stung once. I wouldn't have realized if I wasn't watching her. Nothing happened. Yes, I'm sure it went in but I guess it was just dry or she was so small that it didn't make a difference.
TBH

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was stung about 40 mins ago on my right index finger. I was moving bark around, wondering how they were doing. It hurt at first but nothing like I had been told. It's a little swollen right now but not painful, actually it's a kind of warm, relaxed feeling in my finger. C. vittatus is MUCH worse as far as my sting goes. It kind of feels like there is a bug moving around under the skin where I was stung, no problems, no pain, just a tingling sensation.

It's been about 12 hours now and my finger feels weird. It tingles and it doesn't feel good when things touch it. It kind of feels like when you bump the nerve that runs across your elbow(funny bone) and your arm tingles. Well my finger feels like that every time I touch something with it. I've felt the same sensation with a C. vittatus sting for a couple of days. If I didn't know I was stung by a B. jax, I would say I was stung by C. vittatus.

Last edited:

spiderdan1331

Arachnopeon
B.jacksoni tag

got tagged by my adult B.jacksoni the day before yesterday while i was showing someone how docile they are(go figure).
the pain was immediate-like someone poked my finger with a hot pin...
no swelling occured, but a strange tingling feeling(like it fell asleep) stayed in my finger for 24 hours

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok I've been stung by my Babycurus Jacksoni before, normally on my finger. But this past weekend I received one of the worst sting in my life. As I was feeding each of my 5th instar B.Jacksoni, when I opened one of their enclosure one of them crawled up my arm. I remained calm and tried to get the little guy back into his habitat, as I tried to gently brush him into his home. He stung me TWICE on my left arm, right above the elbow.

I knew I've been stung because my entire left arm started to feel a burning sensation. After I got him back into his enclosure, I went into the bathroom to examine how bad it was. The area that his telson penetrated my skin started to become red and irritated. I immediately wash it with cold water and applied some benadryl ointment. Took some acetaminophen (Tylenol) and antihistamine for the pain & swelling.

I have to say the first 12-15hrs was the worst. My arm felt like a hundred burning needle pricking it every 5 minutes or so. It was so bad that I couldn't ride my motorcycle the next day to school. Also it didn't help that I'm left-handed, so I couldn't even take notes in class. Of course when I tried to explain to my professor why I'm not able to finish my case study, he gave me the weirdest look....Like "Okay....Ah huh, you was biten by your scorpion?!?" :rolleyes: NOT BITEN!!! STUNG!!!!! I told him.

The first 24hrs was the most painful while the last 24hrs my arm felt like it was asleep. It was definitely very sensitive to the touch. All said and done, this was one experience I would care not to repeat again. From this I learn to NEVER underestimate a scorpion no matter how big or small it is. :evil:{D:evil:

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Freshly molted 3i

A week ago I was envenomated on my left middle finger by a freshly-molted 3i scorpling when picking up a piece of cork bark. Reminder to self: freshly-molted scorpions do NOT fluoresce! I didn't see him and well, chalk up this incident as the first time I've ever been stung by a scorpion. Symptoms lasted 22 hours and were moderate overall. Description of the experience consisted of stinging & throbbing pain, electrical tingling at envenomation site, numbness of finger, stiffness of finger and finishing up with 20 hours of hypersensitivity and constant painful tingling. No residual effects have been noted since, not even a blister or redness at the sting site.

On an overall pain scale, I'd rate the experience a 6 out of 10. I would certainly not want to be nailed by an adult!

Continue to practice unrelenting safety around your scorpions!! and don't forget to have fun :)

Jeff

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tagged by a 3i (i believe, or 2i) slight tingle sensation. might have been a dry sting, as it used its stinger as a way to stay on my hand

pain level 0.5/10

scorpistung

Arachnopeon
Don't ask me how it happened but I got stung in the ear last week. I can't really explain the pain other to say that it hurts and unfrotunatley my reaction ended up in the death of the creature. Let's just say it escaped and surprised the hell out of me. I'm lucky it got me where it did, I was open game.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On 26 August 12 around 14h 30m I was rehousing a 3i Sling and it decided to be uncooperative. Initial pain from injection was that of a bacon grease splatter. Now after approximately 30 minutes, it is a dull annoying localized throb. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a solid 2 at the beginning and now it it is not even a 1

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
About 5 minutes ago I was stung by a 1.5 inch B. jacksoni scorpling. I was moving stuff around in the enclosure and decided to try and handle him. It was going well until he ran up my arm and under my sleeve. I got him out and proceded to cup him, but because of his location on the underside of my forearm, I accidentally pinched either a claw or leg and he stung me right there.No injuries were caused to me, and the lil' dude is fine. It hurt initially like a bad bee sting, but quickly turned into a strong tingling sensation. Occasionally it wil heighten with various movements. I have not received medical attention and should not need any. If any changes occur, I will say so below the picture.

Here is a picture:

Update: The swelling has receded for some time now and all that is left is a red dot and tingling.

Update 2: The tingling has now receded to the local area.

Last edited by a moderator:

xSerpentGoddess

Arachnopeon
Babycurus jacksoni-Rusty Nail In The Thumb.

I work at a pet store with my fiancé and best friend whom owns it, and we start work at noon. It is easily very busy with people waiting outside to get in before we open, so as one could imagine, there was a lot of hustle and bustle. At 12:30, we were ready to transfer some of our B. jacksoni babies from their mothers' enclosure. Coincidentally, I get stung by a male that I was transferring "really quick" by grabbing his telson and putting him into his new home. I had delt with larger species like Pandinus and Heterometrus before, and thought that I was good enough to quickly grab him and put him in. He got me the second I touched him. Immediately I grabbed my thumb that he hit, and tried to squeeze as hard as I could as to contain the venom in one spot. At the time, I had no idea what type of sting they offered, so at the brink of the event, IM PRETTY FREAKED OUT. The pain gradually increased within the two minutes it took me to run upstairs and look up the sting report and wash it off with alcohol. The feeling of hitting your funny bone was prominent from the tip of my thumb down to where your hand meets the wrist. There was what I guess you could say was partial paralysis, potentially due to the numbing effect it had on the thumb. I worked through the day till 8 PM, and throughout that time I had felt clammy and/or ill a few times, never vomiting or any extent, but I can say work was extremely drawn out. The pain lasted harshly non stop for 8-10 hours, ended after 18-20 hours, leaving a pin prick feeling even a couple days afterward. Glad I can say that I did safely put him into his home throughout the sting and didn't throw him out of shock! If it came down to a $50 bet, I suppose I could do it again.. not literally, but as far as rating the pain. lol.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Babycurus jacksoni - Adult female (possibly gravid!)

I was doing my weekly maintenance about 45 minutes ago and when I got to the B. jacksoni's enclosure I could only see two. I have two females with one male, all adults. I couldn't find one of the girls so I finally decided I was going to have to pull everything out and see if she burrowed or if she magically escaped. I grabbed the bark and lo and behold there she was, right under my finger! Got me right on my right pointer just below the nail.

Initial pain was similar to a wasp, just not as intense. Some throbbing for a couple of minutes and now it is nothing more than a slight tingle with a few sharp twinges right on the surface. There was some localized swelling around the sting point. I was expecting more but am very thankful it wasn't more. I looked, I just don't know how I missed her...

Pretty much feels like a bee sting, just less painful.

Update: A little less than two hours aft I barely even feel any pain.

Last edited: