babycurus gigas tail came off after molt !?!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
So I came home from work and noticed my sub-adult B. gigas had molted. It look normal and moved a little so I wasn't worried and went to bed. But when I checked on it after I woke up it was dead and its tail had come off at the base. Has anybody ever seen anything like this? What the hell happened?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
So I came home from work and noticed my sub-adult B. gigas had molted. It look normal and moved a little so I wasn't worried and went to bed. But when I checked on it after I woke up it was dead and its tail had come off at the base. Has anybody ever seen anything like this? What the hell happened?
Some species of scorpions can perform autotomy - discarding the tail as a defence mechanisim- similar to lizards, although the tail will not regenerate as in the case of spiders. Your scorpion probably cast its tail due to prey being present after molting and probably died due to stress if was unable to sting the predator. If a scorpion does cast its tail it only lives a short while after - a matter of months - as the anus is at the base of the tail and the scorpion is unable to poo.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Some species of scorpions can perform autotomy - discarding the tail as a defence mechanisim- similar to lizards, although the tail will not regenerate as in the case of spiders. Your scorpion probably cast its tail due to prey being present after molting and probably died due to stress if was unable to sting the predator. If a scorpion does cast its tail it only lives a short while after - a matter of months - as the anus is at the base of the tail and the scorpion is unable to poo.
Thanks for the info. It was alone in the enclosure so something else must have stressed it, although I have no idea what that might be.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the info. It was alone in the enclosure so something else must have stressed it, although I have no idea what that might be.
Molting complications are not unheard of. If all other appropriate measures for care were in effect then it might just be a case of bad luck. Unfortunately, as stated earlier, Scorpions do not regenerate like our Tarantulas do. They can live without a leg or two, and even without a chela in captivity, but without the metasoma / telson it is a death sentence. Even a species that does not use its venom would perish from losing the metasoma/telson because it would not be able to defecate.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Molting complications are not unheard of. If all other appropriate measures for care were in effect then it might just be a case of bad luck. Unfortunately, as stated earlier, Scorpions do not regenerate like our Tarantulas do. They can live without a leg or two, and even without a chela in captivity, but without the metasoma / telson it is a death sentence. Even a species that does not use its venom would perish from losing the metasoma/telson because it would not be able to defecate.
I guess it must been bad luck as I raised it from 2 instar in the same enclosure and conditions with no problems.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Sorry that happened. Sounds like a bad molt, tail probably got stuck. Sadly any invert really runs the risk of a bad molt even if you do everything right.