Baby T buried itself

harleyy

Arachnopeon
I’m new to caring for tarantulas but I’ve done a lot of research i know they bury to feel safe and to not get dehydrated but I just got it a couple of days ago i dont know when the pet store last fed it i know it was balding on the abdomen so i dont know if It’s molting or just there i dont know what to think it’s buried under the wood part and I accidentally touched the wood and i dont know if It squished it or if it’s okay I’m scared and nervous I don’t want kill or harm it in anyway I don’t want to stress it, I don’t even know the gender yet that’s how young it is. I dont know if I should feed it or just wait for it to resurface ugh has anyone’s baby T ever done this.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Yes, they do this all the time actually. They will bury themselves for a variety of reasons. Premolt most often, but also seasonal changes and for other reasons. Keep the water dish full and it will re-emerge when its ready.

LaughingLunatic

Arachnopeon
I have a 3/4" T. albopilosus sling that I've had for... about 6 weeks. She was on the surface of the enclosure for exactly 1 day. Spent the night digging like a sling possessed and has been underground ever since. Where she dug, she conveniently created a window so I can see in. She molted down there, eats down there (I leave food at the entrance shaft down to the cavern she excavated for herself). She'll surface when she's ready.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
What species of t is it?

stereotypical tarantula behavior, and like mentioned above it could be many reasons or no reason at all why its wanting to burrow

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
I’m new to caring for tarantulas but I’ve done a lot of research i know they bury to feel safe and to not get dehydrated but I just got it a couple of days ago i dont know when the pet store last fed it i know it was balding on the abdomen so i dont know if It’s molting or just there i dont know what to think it’s buried under the wood part and I accidentally touched the wood and i dont know if It squished it or if it’s okay I’m scared and nervous I don’t want kill or harm it in anyway I don’t want to stress it, I don’t even know the gender yet that’s how young it is. I dont know if I should feed it or just wait for it to resurface ugh has anyone’s baby T ever done this.
I just got 2 slings which are babies and one just buried himself and covered himself completely and webbed it also so cute. It was starting to look shiny on his or her abdomen. Mine is eating pretty good, I pre killed a meal worm just in case he isnt molting. He ate it and his abdomen looks like its gonna pop lol no not really, but you can see the shine now so he or she should be molting pretty soon.So don't worry he's just telling you he wants privacy you could leave something prekilled in front of his burial and if he eats it he eats it if not leave him alone.I got a husbandry from my breeder that literally gives you all a device about your new sling or other T's please read it.It helped me spool much its called Tom's Spiders its awesome I dont know if im aloud to post it or I would ,but I'm also new on here.

harleyy

Arachnopeon
What species of t is it?

stereotypical tarantula behavior, and like mentioned above it could be many reasons or no reason at all why its wanting to burrow
it’s a baby Mexican red knee, it’a been burrowed for like 3 days already

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Mexican red knee is probably Brachypelma hamorii. I know the scientific names are confusing at first but they are necessary. Mexican red knee is too vague. 3 days is nothing, I’ve had tiny slings buried for 8 months before. I suggest you read up a lot more on this species and on slings in general. Use the search function to look up threads pertaining to this species and its husbandry. Tom Moran’s sling guide on YouTube (don’t trust most other youtubers for care advice) is also a good resource. You need to make sure you have the research under your belt to recognize things like this as being completely normal

Last edited:

LaughingLunatic

Arachnopeon
It's nothing to worry about. Buried = safe, safe = survival. Your spider doesn't KNOW it's safe with you, it's acting purely on instinct,

As I said before, my T. albopilosus has been buried for 6 weeks and counting....

You already have your answer above.
Welcome to the world of tarantula keeping.
I had my Cyriocosmus elegans slings at 3-4mm DLS and after the initial housing I never saw them till they hit 1.5-2cm 6-7 months later.
There is something magical in looking at a tub of dirt day after day.haha