Baby Spirobolellus sp. Maui

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Congratulations! Those look amazing!
Where did you get these? Your profile shows you are in Alabama, and to my knowledge none of these have been imported into the Continental US, although I for sure would love to acquire some...

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
Wow! :astonished: Those are now officially on my most-wanted list. Darn you for living so far away! :rofl: I guess it's only fair though, we have so many more invertebrates available than you do. I think this is actually the first time I've seen a species in the US that's not available in the UK yet and isn't native.
Anyway, could you share what you've learnt about their care? Might as well prepare now so I can snatch them up and start breeding as soon as they make their way over here. ;)

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Spirobolellus sp. Maui? Maybe is it just a coincidence but Maui is an island in Hawaii. Where are they native to?

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Congratulations! Those look amazing!
Where did you get these? Your profile shows you are in Alabama, and to my knowledge none of these have been imported into the Continental US, although I for sure would love to acquire some...

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts
I am located in Alabama. I got them from someone in CA.

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Wow! :astonished: Those are now officially on my most-wanted list. Darn you for living so far away! :rofl: I guess it's only fair though, we have so many more invertebrates available than you do. I think this is actually the first time I've seen a species in the US that's not available in the UK yet and isn't native.
Anyway, could you share what you've learnt about their care? Might as well prepare now so I can snatch them up and start breeding as soon as they make their way over here. ;)
I have been keeping them around 75-80% humidity @ a temperature around 76-78 degrees F. They really seem to like to hangout in between the layers of rotten hardwood and it’s bark. The adults are just a little over 1” long.

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
I am hoping to see babies from my Apeuthus sp.,
Chicobolus spinigerus, and
Narceus Gordanus Smokey oak gold phase soon.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Madnesssr, can I PM you to talk details? I'd love to get my hands on this species though it'll have to wait for a little while till I complete the rest of my other projects.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Criteria

Arachnopeon
Wow, these are really beautiful.

Litterally had no idea they existed, another one for the list!

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
I find new ones that I want all the time. Unfortunately if they weren’t in the US prior to the import ban, then I’m just Out of luck.

I would love
- Anadenobolus arboreus gundlachi
- Pararhachistes potosinus
- Spirostreptus servatius
But I haven’t been able to find anyone who has CB.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Actually several species have been brought in under the table since the ban in 2006. This species very likely could be one smuggled over from Hawaii originally. Another excellent example would be Spirostreptus sp. "8" and Anadenobolus arboreus spp., a few of which cropped up a while back.

As the hobby continues to grow and the government continues to not do much about regulating millipedes, isopods, beetles, etc. I think we're going to see a bloom in the numbers of brown-boxers bringing in stuff from Europe and Asia.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
I have a silly question...I have seen post about Spirostreptus sp 6 & 8. Is there a cheat sheet or something that tells their more common name? I honestly wouldn’t know 6 from 8.

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
I have a silly question...I have seen post about Spirostreptus sp 6 & 8. Is there a cheat sheet or something that tells their more common name? I honestly wouldn’t know 6 from 8.
Most of the numbered species don't have common names, at least not ones that are agreed upon. Spirostreptidae sp.8 are sometimes called 'Green Stripe(d)' or 'Green Fairytail' millipedes but I'm not sure about sp. 6. If you want a site that lists the species and has pictures then this site has Spirostreptidae sp 1-9 (excluding 2). Unfortunately it's not in English and because of the way the website has been formatted it can't be automatically translated and you can't copy the text, so if you want any of the info you'll have to type it into Google translate yourself which is a pain.
Also, as far as I know most of these species have only been identified down to family level, so the correct term is Spirostreptidae sp X. They might be in the Spirostreptus genus but we don't know. :)

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Most of the numbered species don't have common names, at least not ones that are agreed upon. Spirostreptidae sp.8 are sometimes called 'Green Stripe(d)' or 'Green Fairytail' millipedes but I'm not sure about sp. 6. If you want a site that lists the species and has pictures then this site has Spirostreptidae sp 1-9 (excluding 2). Unfortunately it's not in English and because of the way the website has been formatted it can't be automatically translated and you can't copy the text, so if you want any of the info you'll have to type it into Google translate yourself which is a pain.
Also, as far as I know most of these species have only been identified down to family level, so the correct term is Spirostreptidae sp X. They might be in the Spirostreptus genus but we don't know. :)
Thank you!!!!