Baby scorpions don't glow

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has anyone else noticed that freshly molted babies don't glow. I'm assuming that the photophlouresence(sp) happens as the skin hardens.

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, thats a known fact, they don't glow until they harden up.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You may have read between the lines but just in case, it's that way for every molt until they harden.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
the title threw me off as baby scorpions do indeed glow...

but correct about the freshly molted thing.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well heck, despite being over a month old, the exuviae I've collected continue to fluoresce.
Molts continue to glow forever it seems like. I'm curious as to what is going on as far a the chemistry in the skin that causes it to glow after it hardens. I'm assuming some sort of reaction with the air???

JOhn

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Molts continue to glow forever it seems like. I'm curious as to what is going on as far a the chemistry in the skin that causes it to glow after it hardens. I'm assuming some sort of reaction with the air???

JOhn

This is one of the fluorescent compounds in scorpion cuticle. Ringed organic carbon structures tend to fluoresce at certain wavelength emissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-carboline

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer

JOhn

so do preserved scorpions in alcohol....It has to with riboflavins in layers under the epidermis.....This is the simple answer, btw, not the elaborate one......