Baby Rosea Suspected To Be Male

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Help !! I was in a pet store today and there is a male rosea that has been there for months. No ones buying him because hes labeled as male. When I asked to see him, he is only maybe an inch long IF that, so Im thinking that this little T is to young to be sexed.
What do you think ?? I mean he doesnt have the fattened palps and tibial spurs (obviously) .
Maybe they call him a he becuase he doesnt have the genital slit under the abdomen like a mature female.
Um, I was thinking of buying him because they are desperite to get rid of "him" Everytime I go in there they say " Buy him"

The thing is, HE has a very fat butt, and I thought that only females got fat butts.

Help ? What should I do ?? Is it really too small to be sexed ??:? :confused: :confused: :confused: :?

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It sounds like they may have sexed it wrong but regardless if they want to get rid of it so bad I would drive them down in price and get it for a steal. But that is just me. And as for the correct sexing of it I would talk to CodeMonkey for that.:D ;) :)

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
At 1", I believe you are just getting to the point where they can be reliably sexed, although I believe it would be difficult.
Its possible the store incorrectly sexed it, which you could probably determine from their tarantula savvy.
If it were me, I'd offer them something less than the asking price for it and welcome it into my group.
Even if it is a male, the Grammastola grow at such a slow rate you would have several good years with him before his time is up.
As I'm getting more tarantulas, an hence getting some males, I am beginning to really appreciate them more and won't necessarily shy away from one I think is male.
Good luck and post some pics after you bring that one home!
;)
Ralph

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
DOES ANYONE HAVE PICTURES OF JUVIE OR SLING ROSEAS ?????????

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You won't be able to tell just by body shape.
I've got a smaller B. smithi you would swear is a female by body shape, yet he is all male.
Same with my A. geniculata's.
My opinion is that the abdomen size when their small has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with how well fed they are.

But in answer to your question, I unfortunatly do not have any pics of juvenile G. rosea's.

Ralph

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rump size for *mature* specimens is usually a decent indicator because mature males are so preoccupied with sex that they don't put much effort into eating. But it's still not a sexing method, just an indicator. For immatures, it tells you nothing.

Second thing is: when you say 1" do you mean leg span, or 1" body length. If it's leg span then there is almost no way that your average store has sexed it at all reliably since it would require a microscope at that size (and it's still not a fool proof method). If it's 1" body length there's a small chance they sexed it reliably, but I would still be doubtful.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Thanks for your help....I might still buy him, her, whatever it is,....um......heres a avatar for you CodeMonkey

Last edited:

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my adult male G. rosea was fat as a cow before his ultimate moult.....i posted some pics on my website for some folks over at another T forum to look at and they thought the thing was gravid!!
after his ultimate moult though he looks like a regular 'ole skinny male...it was almost as if he were full of air...he was fat one day..then he moulted and then he was skinny...in less than one day...literally...:?

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
i had the same thing, kosh, with what i thought was an A. chalcodes (goes to show how hard it can be to ID wild-caughts...). fat as all get-out, then it molts from a plump brown and blonde "female" to a gangly, jet-black male. i've seen a lot of spiders turn brown or duller colored as they get through a molting cycle, but this one was a shocker.
i still have the guy, i'll get some pics up asap.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Well now Im not even sure I can BUY him because I just got a cell phone bill for 200 $$ and I am ready to SCREAM.....the damn cell phone company descided to start charging 2 cents for every wireless web page you visit....something that USED TO BE FREE THE FREAKING CHEAPSKATES !!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad: So now I am brokesville...true I will be getting 20 bucks soon for something, but what are the odds that the bill payers will loan me the remaineder of the cost of the tarantula ??

I will keep U updated on wether I get him or not..in the mean time this is me discovering my phone bill:

Last edited:

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
here are some before and after pics......he was huge before and now looks more normal....
BEFORE ULTIMATE MOULT:

AFTER ULTIMATE MOULT:

the notebook paper is standard ruled....for perspective of size....i couldn't find my ruler....:cool:

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
by the way, spider_savior, how much are they wanting for that spider?? you say it is more than $20 even after they have had "him" for months with no sale?? seems a little steep to me, but what do i know?? the only shop locally that sells spiders only sells rosehairs and they go for $18 each.....

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I went to a local pet shop this past weekend and they were selling Rose Hairs for $9.99 each.
They had a small unsexed and a mature male.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Well, I called the pet store today and asked if they would be willing to come down in price, NO !!! (ooh, ohh, Im sooo sorry for my use of capitals there, ohh ooh !! ;P)

The little "male" is still 24 $, which is pricey, but I really want to take him home, hes been there so long, he deserves a nice home. I think I shall still buy him, but I will tell the petstore where to stick it after ward.

All their pets are OUTRAGEOUS:mad: (oh god, capitals ! Another infraction !! Oh !!;P) but I think its in their heritage to be expensive, not mentioning what heritage that might be....Im not mean.:mad:

Well, Ill let you know if I get him ! or it....and if I ever get a picture...Ill post it...because he doesnt look like a g.rosea, but do they at that age ??:?

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Well those @$$??** at the pet store JACKED the price up to 29.00 after I called and asked about a better deal.

They can kiss mine. Six months down the road when he hasnt sold and they realise that 29, and 24 is too much, (if they do) then MAYBE Ill buy him,...or if I get the money.

Right now I have a 200 $$ phone bill to worry about.

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh Man,,,

wow thats a high phone bill... mine is never over $50.00 but then again you dont have Life line which makes sure i only get charged 50 and never any higher... As for the petshop deal man.. it happens... =D =D :cool:

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Oh Man,,,

Originally posted by Bearacuda42
wow thats a high phone bill... mine is never over $50.00 but then again you dont have Life line which makes sure i only get charged 50 and never any higher... As for the petshop deal man.. it happens... =D =D :cool:
hmmm......I can't even remember the last time we made a long distance call......if they don't have e mail.......
:)
Ed

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
THEY SOLD THE LITTLE MALE !! Im kinda glad actually.....he finally has a home, even if its NOT mine.....I hope !!!:)