Baby Phrynus marginemaculatus Care

Phasitron477

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

It's been a few months since I've posted. My pair of P. marginemaculatus successfully had their first brood of young. I can't find much information regarding how to care for the infants, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what I should feed them? I've tried fruit flies, but so far I haven't seen any of them go for one. Is there something else I should try? Or should I just wait and see if they eventually get hungry enough? They are kind of big relative to the baby spiders; are they perhaps too big? Any advice would ge great!

Thanks,
Luke

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations on the successful breeding!

I have no direct experience with P. marginemaculatus, this may or may not help:
When my Damon diadema were tiny, they weren't all that excited about Drosophila melanogaster fruit flies. They ate them occasionally, but they didn't seem all that enthusiastic. They were much more interested in appropriately sized crickets. I think it had to do with the fact that the fruit flies went straight up (especially on the glass where the whiplings could not follow) while the crickets stayed on the cork slabs, and traveled in areas where the whiplings were likely to be.

If you can get crickets that are near the size of the fruit flies, it could be worth a try.

Last edited: