baby food

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just got done feeding my rosea slings their first meal.
All 127 of them. Man'oman, what a job!!
127 week old crics. One at a time, at 7 cents each.
I got to get rid of these guys quick.
I dont know how anyone with 600 or more could do it. It'd be a full time job. Let alone the cost..

Oh well, live and learn.;)

Ernie

This pic is about half of them..

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool Ernie! Did you breed them or acquire a gravid female? I have 2 (poss. 3) females I mated and they are looking gravid...nice round fat abdomens, both of them, and one has even been laying down a really heavy mat of silk. (but for a little while now and nothing more) Anyhow, what were the conditions under which the female began making her egg sac?

Atrax

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Cool Ernie! Did you breed them or acquire a gravid female? I have 2 (poss. 3) females I mated and they are looking gravid...nice round fat abdomens, both of them, and one has even been laying down a really heavy mat of silk. (but for a little while now and nothing more) Anyhow, what were the conditions under which the female began making her egg sac?

Atrax
Hey Atrax,
How ya doing? You've been offline for awhile.
I acquired a gravid female at Petco. I too have a couple of, what I think are gravid female A.schmidti T's.
Its alot of fun, and a great learning exp. hatching out a eggcase.
But, unless its a species that is in high demand, you end up with alot of unwanted slings.. I've found even tradeing them is hard, unless your willing to give them away. And, if thats the case, you need to do it before you get alot of time and money tied up in feeding them.
Now I understand why dealers have to charge as much as they do for their stock.
Anyway its worth doing at least once.;)

Good luck with yours, and nice to see ya back on the boards,

Ernie

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Ernie! :) Yeah, I was pretty tied up for a spell but things have settled back down. We'll be happy to help take a few off your hands. :) As far as profit though, yeah, rosies aren't the most sought after sp. but c/b s'lings are somewhat desireable. Especially for the fact that spreading c/b in the rosies in the hobby may hopefully help cut down the demand for wild caught stock (utopian theory?) and every little bit helps right?
If you plan on going to the ATS this year, you would likely find good homes for a ton of them too. Good luck to you as well. :)

Atrax

bwhatch2

Arachnopeon
trade

hey, if your interested in selling a few, or trading for some b.albopilosum or various aphonopelma spp. slings or lobster roaches get ahold of me off board, i wouldnt mind feeding some of them, i have more lobster roach nymphs than i know what to do with.

Bridget

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good luck with your babies Mr. T. I bet you are a happy grandpa ;P Have you made a post in the classifieds section here yet to sell some of them?

Bridget:p

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT

127 week old crics. One at a time, at 7 cents each.
Hi Ernie! I'm back after the hell of my families health problems and the holidays. I gotta say that you need to be getting your crix by the box - holy moly man, I'd be broke feeding my pack if I had to drop 7 cents a piece for the crix! If you get a box of 500 or 1000 for between $12 and $18 dollars it's a huge savings and so long as you keep them clean and well fed the tiny one's will grow into big ones. Or you can get big ones, pop 'em in the freezer and feed your babies parts - just slice and dice a big one before it's completely thawed and pass out the pieces :D

Gail

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Re: baby food

Originally posted by Gail
Hi Ernie! I'm back after the hell of my families health problems and the holidays. I gotta say that you need to be getting your crix by the box - holy moly man, I'd be broke feeding my pack if I had to drop 7 cents a piece for the crix! If you get a box of 500 or 1000 for between $12 and $18 dollars it's a huge savings and so long as you keep them clean and well fed the tiny one's will grow into big ones. Or you can get big ones, pop 'em in the freezer and feed your babies parts - just slice and dice a big one before it's completely thawed and pass out the pieces :D

Gail
Hi Gail,:D
I,m do'in the Happy pixie dance, your back.=D
When I saw it was you replying to this thread, I thought for sure you were going to ask me. Ernie where do you buy 127 week old crickets? Arn't those about 9 1/2 months old? How do you keep em alive so long?;) LOL
Anyway, I hope everythings better for you and yours.. And I hear ya about buying crickets in bulk..

Your pal,
Ernie