Babies died!

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So my P. Imperator gave birth a week ago to the day and I wake up this morning and all but one of the babies are dead laying on the ground of the tank. I have the humidity very high by keeping the substrate very damp and I have the temp ranging from 75-90 degrees F. I dont think they dessicated nor do I think the mother had anything to do with it but I could be wrong. this just baffles me. I hope the one remaining baby still on her back makes it alright. btw, I bought her gravid but didnt know it so by no means was this an attempted breeding, in fact i was surprised as all hell when she did give birth lol.

konrad16660

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
did you have her in with the babies? or did you have them seperate. emps are nice scorps, but sometimes they will eat and or in this case, maybe crush the young. i always seperate babies.
hope that helps and sorry about your babies.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
did you have her in with the babies? or did you have them seperate. emps are nice scorps, but sometimes they will eat and or in this case, maybe crush the young. i always seperate babies.
hope that helps and sorry about your babies.
kinda sounds to me like the babies hadn't reached their first moult yet, or were not yet wandering away from the mother.

Chaos: were they clumped together or scattered? Also you say the sub is very damp? is that damp as in moist to the touch or damp as in on the verge of soupy?

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
kinda sounds to me like the babies hadn't reached their first moult yet, or were not yet wandering away from the mother.

Chaos: were they clumped together or scattered? Also you say the sub is very damp? is that damp as in moist to the touch or damp as in on the verge of soupy?
No, the babies had not yet molted and they werent wandering from the mother yet I dont know how they got spread out. they were scattered all over the tank, and the sub was moist to the touch not soupy.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard, but never seen it for myself, that sometimes a mother emp will abandon young that fall from her back. If this happens it's a death sentence for the babies Especially if it happens when no one is around to try and help.

I do remember a thread by someone on the boards who did rescue a baby emp or Het species and i think they got it to 2I with some care... might wanna do a search for it, just in case.