Babies, babies, babies,babies....OMG!

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok you have probably seen some of my photos of my L6 African mantids. I shared a hatch with the people that provided a male so my female could breed. We had 2 oothecae in Dec and I got 10 young to raise from day olds. Well, I was having fun with these guys when, on Feb 8th, she spun another ootheca. This was a month and a half from the breeding. She was in a one gallon ice cream bucket at the time. I moved her into a 5 gal aquarium and put the bucket aside thinking the ootheca was probably sterile. None the less I kept a wet paper towel in the bottom for humidity. I marked the calender for 6 weeks from laying...March 14th. Well...you guessed it...they hatched. By God did they hatch! I was at work but Anne thought the screen on the ice cream bucket was moving. When she looked in there was a black wave boiling across the lid , down one side and up the other. By the time I got home things had calmed down a bit. There must have been 500 + hatch originally but they probably ate themselves down by half. I stepped up the assembly line production of cups and screen lids. By the time we finished we had rounded up about 275 young (5 per cup). Seems as long as they have some space they do not bother each other. So, now what? Start more fly cultures!!! Luckily I had a couple just peaking. Anyway that's too much writing. Here are some baby photos.

John

Last edited:

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are at 2 days

Last edited:

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The new housing project

Last edited:

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Wow. COOL. Congratulations....maybe Ill have to get meself a mantid...Ive always loved mantids! :D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
cool pic at the top. looks like the two of them are boxing :)
so, you are saying you can keep them together without cannabalism, with enough room and food?
Does that also go for the adults?

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At this stage they seem to be ok with 5 per cup. After a couple of molts, though, the space issue will be a problem. It would be best to separate to one per cup after the second molt. You might get away with males in a group. A friend said the males seem to be less aggressive and hungry but the females are killers! I might try this out as making 275 cups for housing each mantis will fill up my space a bit!

John

more flies...more flies...got to grow more flies....