B.vagans

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A question.

do vagans molt inside their cave or in the open?

Is there any signs of molting time before the actual process?

I'm new to the hobby and i think that my vagans sling is about to molt... (it's about 1 inch and is very fat!!)

I'm feeding it flightless fruitflies and house flies and occasionaly a small piece of meat.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

it should be a moult, and they most likely hide and moult, correct me is i am wrong guys,

James

P.S- welcome to the forum!

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd lay off the fruit flies and start feeding it crickets.......

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
It varies on the individual tarantula. My adult has a burrow and generally molts inside of it. Most T's, if they have a burrow, will molt inside of it as it is where they feel secure. If a T does not have a burrow, then it generally will molt outside of it. :) Signs before the actual process will sometimes include:

The skin at a bald spot on the abdomen turning black.

Lack of appetite.

Sluggishness.

Flipping over. :)

Scott

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 2 B. vagan slings that both remain in their burrows constantly, with the exception of occasional hunting excursions at night. Both also molted in their burrows and later removed the exuvium and dumped it outside of the burrow. The are both roughly 3/4" right now. Since I rarely see them, I have no idea, other than a rough estimate by time, as to when they are going to molt.

Botar

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1"? Yeah, definately stop with the fruit flies. It should be able to easily take a medium sized cricket.