B.vagans cohabitation update.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, I have gone through two males living with one of my females. Neither got munched. I never witnessed any mating, but then I am rarely around, with the lights on, facing that enclosure.

I have just put my second female into a 40-long aquarium with a proper top. I will let her acclimatize and then introduce a male. The huge enclosure is because she is the one that previously ate a male. I want to see if a male can survive if given enough space.

Oh, and anyone in Canada interested in a breeding loan (other than Jacen) feel free to contact me. I have four males right now and don't want them to go to waste.

Cheers,
Dave

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are your males all b.vagans?

good luck, hopefully you get an eggsac.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have four male B.vagans and one male G.rosea who I will be keeping.

Cheers,
Dave

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
skinheaddave congradulations on the successful cohabitations!

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

that is awesome about the cohabitations though! hopefuly shes gravid man--Jeff

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Just being up-front. If you don't understand why, tough beans.

Cheers,
Dave

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dave,
Although the cohabitation is going well for you, you may want to seperate the male for a day or two every few days. Well, that is if he hasn't made any new sperm webs while in the female's enclosure.
The second time I paired my Chacos, I let the male stay in the female's enclosure for about a week. One drawback (IMO) was not even knowing if they ever engaged. The other thing was that I didn't see any evidence of a sperm web at all. When I decided to let the male go back home, he immediately made a new sperm web.
Anyhow, just a couple things to consider. :)

Atrax

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dave

Usually if vagans are going to hook up you won't have to wait till night. They will go right at it when the male realizes that the female is there. If you haven't see any such activity I would probably take him back out for a while not only to let him build another sperm web in peace in case they did go at it but because if she isn't ready to mate when she gets the munchies he may be doomed. Whenever I have gotten Brachys to hook up I have simply eased the male into the females container and he will either run like mad at the 1st sign that she's in there, she will chase him out trying to kill him, or he will drum she will raise up and wham bam thank ya maam it's on. Some species like the pokes are more secretive but Brachys tend to go right at it if they are going to at all.

Phil