B vagan temperament

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
My husbands has never threat postured that I have seen, but it is skittish. I think it flicked hairs at me once. But that is just ours.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
No matter the species, each individual is just that, individual. The majority of B. vagans, from what I understand, are pretty chill. Kind of calm even. Slings, obviously, are a bit more skittish and more apt to hide when disturbed but ANY tarantula, even previously calm and reasonably well mannered can become very defensive. (aggressive really isn't a word that fits with T's in my oppinion. ;))

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Even the calmest tarantulas can have a fast and violent feeding response. Keep your fingers away from them.

Clifford DVM

Arachnopeon
I've had this species in the past. I wouldn't want to cuddle with one, however, I never witnessed an aggressive posture.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I can only comment on mine, but he is quite adorable. Doesn't mind the enclosure being opened at all, always out and about unless he's close to a molt. I have never gotten a threat, kick, or bolt out of mine.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've had more than a few of them, and they're all generally the same: Skittish. What's worse is that they never seem to learn where their hides are. They just bolt in random directions when scared - if they get to their hide, it's pure coincidence. Even the adults are this way. Fortunately, they slow down with size (at least the females do), but they're quite fast when they're smaller.

My mama always said B vagans is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
Has your mother ever had a box of chocolates? Because you know exactly what you're going to get... it's written right there on the box ;)

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I've had more than a few of them, and they're all generally the same: Skittish. What's worse is that they never seem to learn where their hides are. They just bolt in random directions when scared - if they get to their hide, it's pure coincidence. Even the adults are this way. Fortunately, they slow down with size (at least the females do), but they're quite fast when they're smaller.
I think maybe it could have something to do with you gluing their hides upside down onto the roof their enclosures.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I have old world T's that are easier to rehouse than my vagans. They are varied temperament animals.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Has your mother ever had a box of chocolates? Because you know exactly what you're going to get... it's written right there on the box ;)
What box of chocolates are you getting? The ones I've seen were all a mystery.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
What box of chocolates are you getting? The ones I've seen were all a mystery.
Completely off topic but most name brand i.e. Sees, Russell stover, Godiva, and the likes of other major designer truffles and chocolates producers include a legend inside the box that tells you the description of the corespondent chocolate in the box.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Completely off topic but most name brand i.e. Sees, Russell stover, Godiva, and the likes of other major designer truffles and chocolates producers include a legend inside the box that tells you the description of the corespondent chocolate in the box.
Literally every box of chocolates I've ever had o_O It's written on the lid
Huh, alright then. Maybe I'm just not paying attention.

Mattkc

Arachnopeon
I've owned many of these over the years and all comments above are correct... They are a great beginner T to own and very underrated, inexpensive, attractive and easy to raise with minimal effort. In general, temperament is middle of the road for Brachypelma's - I've had very nervous skittish ones and extremely laid back calm ones. I have seldom experienced (other than a feeding response) any truly aggressive behavior from these guys - that includes dealing with wild specimens in Mexico. However, I did come across two wild ones, out of dozens I encountered that would have eviscerated me if it got the chance! Its been also my experience they are also not big hair flickers compared to other Brachypelma's and NW T's. As most have said on this thread, its about the individual personality of the specimen.
Since they are so inexpensive to get as slings, get three or four to hopefully find one with the personality you seek!

Tygarys

Arachnopeon
My 2nd T is a B. Vagans. It isnot skittish unless I make a lot of noise opening its enclosure. If I am quite, it will just chill. It is the only T that has tried to hair me however, and is the only one to give me a threat posture/strike (on water stream while filling dish). It is also a cricket vacuum.