B.smithii, how big before sexing?

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My B. smithii just completed the second molt since getting its "colors". Left me a nice, albeit tiny, exuvium. Before I torture myself trying to examine it under the dissecting scope, can anyone tell me if it is yet old/big enough to tell? Its about the size of a quarter.

I don't know why I care, it is what it is and will continue to be. I am just curious.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's close, if not now then you should be able to tell in the next molt.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My B. smithii just completed the second molt since getting its "colors". Left me a nice, albeit tiny, exuvium. Before I torture myself trying to examine it under the dissecting scope, can anyone tell me if it is yet old/big enough to tell? Its about the size of a quarter.

I don't know why I care, it is what it is and will continue to be. I am just curious.
It may be possible if you have a dissecting scope or a magnifying glass at that age. I have not been succesful till they were somewhat larger, but then again my eye sight is not what it once was. But I think you will have to wait till the next molt. Should be a little easier.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know that Swift over at Swift's Inverts doesn't claim to be able to sex anything under 2", if you look at his site under "free tarantula sexing."