B Smithi "tasting" me?

Kendage

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if anyones ever been tasted by their T. I know this sounds strange, but I was holding my B. Smithi juvie and near his pedipalps I felt a sort of quick sting, I barley noticed but when we continued his stroll across my wrist I saw a small red dot and the stinging was already gone. There was no threat posture or even kicking hairs, but did he taste me in a way? This is the second time he's done it, is this normal? can anyone tell me what it was, and what caused it? :? Thanks

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyones ever been tasted by their T. I know this sounds strange, but I was holding my B. Smithi juvie and near his pedipalps I felt a sort of quick sting, I barley noticed but when we continued his stroll across my wrist I saw a small red dot and the stinging was already gone. There was no threat posture or even kicking hairs, but did he taste me in a way? This is the second time he's done it, is this normal? can anyone tell me what it was, and what caused it? :? Thanks
It's possible it lost its balance and used its fangs to hold on, or that you irritated it and it just bit you.

Kendage

Arachnopeon
It's possible it lost its balance and used its fangs to hold on, or that you irritated it and it just bit you.
I don't think I startled him, he was walking calmly and didn't even seem to notice he did anything, he just kept going like it never happened but maybe he did lose his balance. I was thinking it might have been hairs, but nothing that i can see, doesn't hurt either.

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your skin could have been sensative to the hooks on the end of it's legs.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
But he said it's a juvie...

I think it just lost its balance and used its fangs to stay up. Glad you're alright.
What was meant by hooks was tarsal claws...arachnids have them to help with gripping (among many other things). when ive held my big L. parahybana i can feel those buggers dig right in...hurts a bit but then the feeling subsides quickly.

Kendage

Arachnopeon
But he said it's a juvie...

I think it just lost its balance and used its fangs to stay up. Glad you're alright.
That's really neat {D I didn't know T's would/could do that with their fangs, I thought they were only for eating, grooming, etc. And thanks :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anytime you handle your T and let them walk across you hands, they are tasting you. They smell and taste with special setae on their first 2 legs and pedipalps. ;)

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Anytime you handle your T and let them walk across you hands, they are tasting you. They smell and taste with special setae on their first 2 legs and pedipalps. ;)
You guy's are really helping me out a lot :) much better than any research I could do. I didn't even think T's could taste :?
And now I am starting to wonder if my T would enjoy a cricket, or a bag of chips ;)

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also, the fangs are for the external aspect of eating. They pierce/hold prey and inject venom if desired. The actual mouth is underneath, so even if a tarantula did "taste" with its mouth, that wouldn't have anything to do with its fangs.

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Also, the fangs are for the external aspect of eating. They pierce/hold prey and inject venom if desired. The actual mouth is underneath, so even if a tarantula did "taste" with its mouth, that wouldn't have anything to do with its fangs.
oh I know they don't actually taste with their fangs, but it was the only way I could describe it.

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

I'm pretty good with my T anatomy, but where exactly are the tarsal claws :? and do they apply to all T's?

Kendage

Arachnopeon

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
Interesting thread, I wonder what it was that you felt. Also those were some great pics of the tarsal claws, I never saw them so clearly. I also didn't know that all T's have 'em, or even most arachnids, so it's cool to have learned that as well. My guess is that it probably was a balance thing, I've heard a lot of stories about T's sinking the fangs in for a better grip.

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Interesting thread, I wonder what it was that you felt. Also those were some great pics of the tarsal claws, I never saw them so clearly. I also didn't know that all T's have 'em, or even most arachnids, so it's cool to have learned that as well. My guess is that it probably was a balance thing, I've heard a lot of stories about T's sinking the fangs in for a better grip.
Just as long as she doesn't sink 'em in to deep. :D

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Your pulse on the wrist could have peaked the spider's curiosity and used its fangs to investigate. There was something I read a while back on someone reporting that a full grown Hysterocrates gigas used its fangs to investigate the wrist of an individual who was handling it.