B. smithi rehoused and now stressed out

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Orb weavers lay and wait as well, though there are a few species which don't spin the characteristic web we are familiar with if I recall correctly. ;)
I own a few black widows and brown recluses. The instant that they know there is prey in that enclosure, they'll scurry around after it until they get it. It's quite funny with black widows, they often have trouble getting through the mess of web that they laid down.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I own a few black widows and brown recluses. The instant that they know there is prey in that enclosure, they'll scurry around after it until they get it. It's quite funny with black widows, they often have trouble getting through the mess of web that they laid down.
True, they seem to be nimble only when they need to escape hah.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I wish there was a jumper the size of a large tarantula.

These are the largest jumpers
That's HUGE compared to my Phidippus audax! I totally agree that I wish there was a T sized jumper, I love their personality and activity. I hope I see some next year in my yard from the sacs I've released this year :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, but that movement could be perceived even as a threat, don't you think?
In point of fact, I'm not sure which species have "good" eyesight, nor are we sure what they observe. Observations from owners indicate arboreals tend to have better vision than terrestrials. A few of my Avics and Pokis could at least detect my movement up to 6 ft away. But what they perceived I don't know. I suspect it was a change in shadows personally. Their eyes aren't that complex to begin with, so they are limited there.

Also, like humans and other predators, jumpers have forward facing eyes, and tarantulas don't. Their eyes are mounted facing upward.

There's very little research done on T physiology. The majority of the vision research is done on true spiders, typically Jumpers for obvious reasons.

I'm honestly not sure what they observe.

Their early warning system is vibration. While I don't know for sure, I speculate they would react to the vibration of air currents long before movement generally speaking.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Last edited:

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Yup, 'Scrooge' :-s

Everyone that doesn't offer to their T's a good level of inches of substrate (btw, aside for the "height safety mode", you never know if T's feel or wants to burrow a bit) IMO is a 'Scrooge'.

Dickens.jpg
I understand, but as i said, in the other one he will have waaay more substrate, got it yesterday actually

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
That's HUGE compared to my Phidippus audax! I totally agree that I wish there was a T sized jumper, I love their personality and activity. I hope I see some next year in my yard from the sacs I've released this year :)
If jumping spiders were the size of tarantulas they would take over the world... they're curious so they're intelligent and ferocious!!! LOL

Giles52

Arachnopeon
My B. Smithi will hunt his food down. On the daily, he's the slowest thing ever. But toss in a cricket, and once he knows it's there, bam! He can jet. I agree with the others on the amount of substrate, for sure. A fall from that height could be super dangerous. I feel for the guy, being all bald. Hopefully the few fixes to the enclosure will fix whatever his nervous issue is.