B. smithi pre-molt

tylerh

Arachnopeon
how long would pre-molt last (approximate) starting from the first refusal of food

to molting, for a 1-1.5" smithi.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There could be a wide range of possibilities, but if the refusal to eat really is because of premolt I'd say it's likely within a week for a T that small and during the summer.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I'd say about a week, or two at most for a smithi that small. Your's is the same size as mine!

madamwlf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Same here, about a week. Though I've had some eat all the way up to night before molting. And I've had some refuse a meal and molt days later. You don't know exactly when premolt started especially if you feed once a week like some of us do.

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Well, from my personal experience, it is 12 days and counting for my 3/4 slings.

tylerh

Arachnopeon
thanks guys, hes been getting blacker and blacker by the day, and it has been a little over a week now. any day now:cool:

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why not give it more substrate and let it make it's cave, one that you started, next to the glass. then you'll be able to time the three to four weeks that it will take to go from premolt to molted and out.

Mine takes almost a month everytime so far to complete the cycle. had it since it was .75" and after this molt, it should be close to 2.25" (leg span). Keep records of the molts and you'll wind up with better ideas of how long they will take.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I'm glad it's getting ready to molt for you! It's gonna be beautiful soon!