Old Timer
Female B smithi.

Phil

Last edited:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Close up...

Same spider closer shot. Sorry couldn't help it new camera has me pumped. I could never get this kind of detail with the old one. enjoy

Phil

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:)

Phil,,just bring the pics on,:D

I know what kind of camera I want :)

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got a...

Nikon Coolpix 4300. Cheaper than the 4500 by about $150 but nearly the same specs wise. Pretty much all I gave up was sound on the movies and a hot shoe that held a bigger flash which I couldn't give a frozen thawed rats ass less about. :) I never use flash as it ruins the color. The camera was worth every cent and the 4 mega pixels make all the difference in the world. Another cool thing was that it didn't have the swivel feature that the 4500 and the 5000 like Scott bought have. For me the swivel would have been a source of paranoia waiting for the extra moving parts to break.

Phil

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pic with Flash

Phillip,
Here is a pic of my B smithi with a flash, still looks like it has great color to me.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Attachments

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some people like flash.

I have seen several flash pics that worked out fine but in my experience it washes and or alters the true colors more often than not. Nitpicky yes but it just bugs the crap out of me when I can't get the pic to look exactly like the spider does. That is why I personally don't ever use flash and would be just as content if the camera didn't even have one. On the bright side it's easy to turn it off.

Phil

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My camera actually has a flash setting just for macros and does a very good job of capturing colours properly. If I forget and leave the standard flash on, yeah, over bright washed out city. It really depends on the camera and what it can do.

Conversely, my camera sucks ass taking shots without the flash - I'm going to have to learn to set the shutter speed myself because it always overexposes everything without a flash on for indoor shots. Thank the gods the film is free with digicams, leaves me free to experiment until I get it right :)

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I meant more specificaly...

This is what I was getting at as far as the flash goes. See how the rear legs show a different orange tone than the front legs do. Also the abdomen has a greyish wash to it where a smithi abdomen is black. Not that it's a bad pic it's just stuff like that which I try to avoid.

And yes CM I know what you mean by the macro flash mine has that as well I just don't like it. Also just to maybe help you out a bit it's not the exposure as much as the white balance that helps you indoors. Most cameras have a white balance setting that you can change depending on what kind of light you have such as indoor incandescent, flourescent, or outdoor. Some even have a feature to let you measure the white by focusing on a white sheet of paper under whatever lighting you have and the camera will set itself by that. Exposure helps more on the dark lighting versus bright thing where white balance compensates for indoor light not being true full spectrum. And yes I have read up far more on camera crap here lately than I wish I had. :) Hope that helps some.

Phil

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Wonderful pictures, Phil!

Joy

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Some people like flash.

Originally posted by Phillip
I have seen several flash pics that worked out fine but in my experience it washes and or alters the true colors more often than not. Nitpicky yes but it just bugs the crap out of me when I can't get the pic to look exactly like the spider does. That is why I personally don't ever use flash and would be just as content if the camera didn't even have one. On the bright side it's easy to turn it off.

Phil
if you don't use flash are you taking your subject outside for natural light? overcast days? details, man!
:)
Ed

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The details...

Nope not an outdoor shot. Just a regular shot taken indoors under semi decent flourescent lights. That's all. On my cheaper camera I had to set it for flourescent lighting but this one seems to pick up on that all on its own. That's it nothing secretive or special just slap the tripod on it get it in focus and fire away. I played with the lighting settings but it didn't really make any difference as it seems to adjust itself fine without my help.

Phil