B. smithi now B. homorii?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, by the time you get it and start selling slings from the inevitable breeding, the change will hopefully be in effect.
The only species that are going to be slings that will be arriving from Mexico is B. auratum, kahlenbergi. The Brachypelma smithi "annitha" will be available two different sizes 8cm and 15cm females only. The Brachypelma hamorii "smithi" will be 5-6cm females only.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I'm interested once the papers are published is that finally the female of the Brachypelma baumgarteni will be properly described. That is what I'm more interested in reading.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It needs to be reviewed... which it apparently already has been, but we have no proof.
Not entirely true, if I recall the journal's page indicates it will be published soon. So assuming it's a peer-reviewed journal, then we have proof indirectly ;), we just cannot read it yet.

Melamii

Arachnopeon
I'm just as confused as the next person is but, thought it was an interesting observation I had made while I made my pre-order... I already have a smithi/homorii/hamorii but, wanted a annitha/smithi Untitled2.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not entirely true, if I recall the journal's page indicates it will be published soon. So assuming it's a peer-reviewed journal, then we have proof indirectly ;), we just cannot read it yet.
But with that, we have no idea what the details and new names will be. Was the abstract listed, or only the title?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just as confused as the next person is but, thought it was an interesting observation I had made while I made my pre-order... I already have a smithi/homorii/hamorii but, wanted a annitha/smithi View attachment 231877
You should tell that person that is selling them to at least spell the name correctly.

Brachypelma smithi aka annitha were available here in the states about a year ago, this species will be available again but only as sexed females and they won't be cheap.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Order soon to insure you get your surprise brachypelma tarantula. You can then say "What the hell did I just order?" Limited Time Offer. Confusion ends soon.

Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Jorge (the Author) just today commented on fb "Hi, I made that research. Paper will be released soon, poss in three weeks."

I'm pretty sure the WSC is only updated twice a year or maybe quarterly. Either way, the revision will be pending for awhile. If accepted, it will be added when updated as usual.

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
wouldn't it have just been simpler to change annitha to hamorii instead of smithi to hamorii and then annatha to smithi?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
wouldn't it have just been simpler to change annitha to hamorii instead of smithi to hamorii and then annatha to smithi?
Someone correct me where I am wrong.
Species annitha can not be changed to hamorii because there are differences on the specimens. It looks like annitha and hamorii got put in the catalog on the same year (1997) while smithi (1897) has existed for a long time. I guess they goofed in 1997. I suspect there are naming rules that require these choices being made though it would have been easier to move hamorii to smithi and keep annitha as annitha. Then do away with hamorii.

EDIT* Rather than saying they goofed in 1997 maybe I should say they didn't have the tools available now.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am going to keep calling my B. smithi by that name to myself because hamorii sounds stupid. I have also been calling smithi by that name since forever.

Call me stubborn but this whole thing sounds dumb. :meh:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Using old rules, does anyone in the hobby own a hamorii? I don't remember seeing it sold. But of course I am a little new to this.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not sure what the confusion is about..
B.smithi becomes B.hamorii.
B.annitha becomes B.smithi.
They've revised this using DNA, which I think is awesome because it is about time Theraphosidae science gets to profit from new technology :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Not sure what the confusion is about..
B.smithi becomes B.hamorii.
B.annitha becomes B.smithi.
They've revised this using DNA, which I think is awesome because it is about time Theraphosidae science gets to profit from new technology :)
My only confusion relates to B.hamorii. Does this exist in the hobby (pre-change). It was listed in 1997.