B smithi mating pic...

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man oh man I really hope this mating takes. :) Got this guy to hook up on the 18th and twice since then.

Phil

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
another angle...

He got really enthusiastic and wound up dumping her on her back while wearing it out. You go boy!

Phil

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That would be nice to get a viable eggsack out of them. Any idea, on average, how many in a B. smithi eggsack?

Botar

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From what I've heard...

Anywhere from a couple of hundred on the small end to pushing a thousand on the high end. Any at all would be nice though as they aren't that easy to get a sack from. Getting them to breed is no prob but getting a viable sack is another story.

Phil

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. I've experienced that problem myself lately. I had an eggsack from a T and most recently, from a wolf spider, that have both dried out. I'm not experienced enough to know if they were viable sacks that dried out due to improper husbandry or if they were not viable all along.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Phil,
I'm getting a male B smithi sometime this week, if you have any tips I'd appreciate it. Do you cool your female down?
I know about it being fairly easy to mate them and difficult to get a sac...if you have any advice on what has worked for you, I'd like to hear it!
Holley

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holley

No I don't cool anyone down. At least not intentionaly. :)
And until I get a viable sack not much advice to give except don't try till the female has been molted for at least 3 to 4 months or it seems to be a waste of time.

Phil

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
she molted the last day of April, so I think we are safe!
I'm not sure how fresh the male is either, but otherwise he'll be wasted, so might as well try!

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Holley

Originally posted by Phillip
No I don't cool anyone down. At least not intentionaly. :)
And until I get a viable sack not much advice to give except don't try till the female has been molted for at least 3 to 4 months or it seems to be a waste of time.

Phil
Hey Phil, if she does an egg sac are you going to let her incubate it or are you planning on taking it away and incubating it yourself?
Ed