B. smithi is... B. emilia

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just would like to share my little story with you :)
I have bought my first spider about two moths ago. It was B. smithi... Let's say B. smithi... ;) It was'n a big spider, just about half an inch. I couldn't see right colours on his legs then. But after the first molt in my hand I started to wonder that it seems to be B. emilia for me rather than B. smithi... :rolleyes: But I wasn't sure... More I looked at my T more confused I became... But on Friday my sweetie had a second molt in my hands and could see then than it is really B. emilia... :D I invited a friend of mine who is in T's for about three years now and he just confirmed that it it B. emilia :)
In conclusion I have got now two T's of B. emilia and no B. smithi... Hmmm... :rolleyes:
So... THIS IS A TIME FOR THE NEW T ;P ... :D:D:D

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say good for you! My B. emilia is great :D You won't be disappointed

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats just the excuse (if you need one ) to go get a smithi. And then you might just spot another and another .
Chid

Tee2

Arachnopeon
Just want to ask a few things . I have just aquired an Emilia and i think its in its pre molt state but since its my first emilia i find it a bit boring since it does not move often. is this really its characteristics? when it stopped eating it just does not move unless you try to move the enclosure. which sometimes creates vibration probably that why it moved. Are they good feeders? mine just ate a few crickets and then stopped eating. I just comparing it to my curly which since i got it has not stopped eating till now and has not molted yet. my emilia is around 3 inches. Pls enlighten me on this pls.

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tee2 said:
Just want to ask a few things . I have just aquired an Emilia and i think its in its pre molt state but since its my first emilia i find it a bit boring since it does not move often. is this really its characteristics? when it stopped eating it just does not move unless you try to move the enclosure. which sometimes creates vibration probably that why it moved.
Don't do this /\/\. What do you expect it to do, backflips? Seriously, The fact that the T doesn't move is a sign that it is "happy" with it's environment. Don't shake its enclosure to make it move. We usually refer to spiders with this personality as a pet rock. In fact, I am actually looking to purchase a pet rock tarantula, as I have plenty that do things.

Are they good feeders? mine just ate a few crickets and then stopped eating. I just comparing it to my curly which since i got it has not stopped eating till now and has not molted yet. my emilia is around 3 inches. Pls enlighten me on this pls.
Remember that tarantulas only need 6-8 crickets a month. So the B. Emilia may be perfectly full. Brachys are also know to fast for long periods of time, up to a year in larger specimens. Depending on size, a tarantula may only molt once a year, so the Curly Hair may have a few months to eat. If you just got that Brachypelma it may not have molted in a while, and be in pre-molt. Pre-molt can last several months, I had one last 5 months.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agreed.
In addition, Brachypelma tend to not be quite the gluttons that other species are. Shaking it's enclousure will only achieve one thing...stressing out the spider. Tarantulas don't move around a lot...that's just how they are.

Tee2

Arachnopeon
What i meant with moving its enclosure is to refill water in its enclosure i have to move the enclosure to put water. but noticably with the curly moves a lot in its enclosure but the emilia just moves very seldom.

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a couple of juvenile B. Emilia.

One is as docile as a kitten (unsexed so far), and the other (a female, moulted yesterday) is the hair kicker from hell :) She will even kick hairs at crickets before eating them :D

They're both lovely though :)

Easyout58

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
PhilR said:
I have a couple of juvenile B. Emilia.

One is as docile as a kitten (unsexed so far), and the other (a female, moulted yesterday) is the hair kicker from hell :) She will even kick hairs at crickets before eating them :D

They're both lovely though :)
Isn't that amazing how they all have their own unique personalities! My Emilia is very much like the first one you described.

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Easyout58 said:
Isn't that amazing how they all have their own unique personalities! My Emilia is very much like the first one you described.
It is amazing. I have a couple of recently acquired A. versicolor slings from the same sac, and they appear to have totally different personalities :)

One is quite content to sit on it's web whilst you mist the container, and the other one will be out and up your arm as soon as you open the lid. I love spiders :D