b. smithi behaviour question...

Yve

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've noticed that when I open up the red knee container its spinerettes seem to move up and down...what is the spider doing with that motion?...another thing that I noticed is that it sits on the wall of the container sometimes...is that common behaviour for a burrower?

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its spinerettes seem to move up and down...what is the spider doing with that motion?
my best guess is that he's webbing :)
is that it sits on the wall of the container sometimes...is that common behaviour for a burrower?
B. smithi is opportunistic burrower and yes, it's rather tyipical for Brachypelmas.
At least both my B's are great climbers and they love to live on the walls. ;)

Last edited:

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Walter
B. smithi is opportunistic burrower and yes, it's rather tyipical for Brachypelmas.
At least both my B's are great climbers and they love to live on the walls. ;)
Really? I got an albopilosum last week, and she tends to climb. I've changed the substrate twice, but the habit continued. It gives me an unnatural feeling when I look at her, hanging on the side.
The spider is a juvenile. Is this more common for juveniles? Could this behaviour possibly stop after a moult or two? Can I really say that the T is thriving when it's climbing? :?

EDIT: Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack the thread.

Last edited:

Yve

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks Walter:)...I haven't seen any webs in there though thats why I was wondering about that motion.
As for sitting on the wall...I'm happy it does that from time to time because it does spend alot of time in the burrow:) I was worried at first that maybe the condition of the substrate was not suiting the s'ling. I keep it fairly dry and only mist one side of it for moisture.
Plus the burrow is on the dry side and occasionally caves in!:rolleyes:

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You will some times find if they are not keen on the substrate, they will web all over it like a carpet.=D

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by overmenneske
Really? I got an albopilosum last week, and she tends to climb. I've changed the substrate twice, but the habit continued. It gives me an unnatural feeling when I look at her, hanging on the side.
The spider is a juvenile. Is this more common for juveniles? Could this behaviour possibly stop after a moult or two? Can I really say that the T is thriving when it's climbing? :?
I would say so - juveniles ime tend to hang on the sides of the container a lot more often than older adults. That said, Brachypelma frequently aren't happy with any substrate until after they give it a good webbing. If you leave things alone it will probably calm down and either burrow or build some sort of crazy curlyhair shelter.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
I would say so - juveniles ime tend to hang on the sides of the container a lot more often than older adults.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. She has started webbing the substrate, you guys have teached me that that is a good sign.
Thank you, CM.