B Smithi and Honduran Curly Hair questions

Delirious122

Arachnopeon
this is a 2 part question

1. My curly hair has been post molt for 8 days now and still hasnt emerged from its blocked entrance does this usually take awhile or does it vary from spider to spider ? I know she is alive because I seen her moving around through the little window she made.

2. My b smithi has this weird obsession with behind her hide I see her from time to time hide in the small little gap and sort of tuck her legs in shes not scared or anything I just let her be and she hasnt displayed any sluggish behaviour. Do spiders have weird hobbys like hiding in a favorite spot in their terrarium. Also since I fed her she has not really been in her hide much she has been walking around her cage and hanging out is this normal B smithi behavior ? The picture attached is her second spot I see her in aside from the hide. Note: the corner she goes in is pretty small and tight she is 4 inches.

Attachments

Delirious122

Arachnopeon
I forgot to mention shes still fairly new to this enclosure about a little over a week.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
the answers are yes, yes, and yes.

Premolt can last quite a while in all trantula Species esppecially when they're larger. One example is my little 2.5" A. hentzi whos been in heavy premolt and refusing food for Two months now so 8 days is nothing.

as for hiding behind the hide alot of tarantulas (especially B. smithi) will choose to just stay the majority of its time by the side or on top of the hide out in the open hence the term "Display T".

Finaly yeah occasional walking around is a normal T thing to do but if its alot than just make sure that shes not walking around because of mites, too much moisture, or any other problems.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
BTW I might just be seeing things but do you have another pic of your smithi mainly spread out and of its pedipalps? I just want to rule out that it could be a MM which would be a reason for it to be wanderind around.

Delirious122

Arachnopeon
the answers are yes, yes, and yes.

Premolt can last quite a while in all trantula Species esppecially when they're larger. One example is my little 2.5" A. hentzi whos been in heavy premolt and refusing food for Two months now so 8 days is nothing.

as for hiding behind the hide alot of tarantulas (especially B. smithi) will choose to just stay the majority of its time by the side or on top of the hide out in the open hence the term "Display T".

Finaly yeah occasional walking around is a normal T thing to do but if its alot than just make sure that shes not walking around because of mites, too much moisture, or any other problems.
My 2 inch T molted 8 days ago and is still hiding her premolt lasted around a month or so and I still have not seen any visuals of her trying to emerge yet.

On a side note since I just got my B smithi she has been living in ideal conditions with nothing wrong with substrate as its bone dry I have not had her long enough for mites to emerge :) thanks for the reply.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
My 2 inch T molted 8 days ago and is still hiding her premolt lasted around a month or so and I still have not seen any visuals of her trying to emerge yet.

On a side note since I just got my B smithi she has been living in ideal conditions with nothing wrong with substrate as its bone dry I have not had her long enough for mites to emerge :) thanks for the reply.
oh sorry i read that one wrong!:rolleyes:

8 days POST molt is still fine she'll just come out whenever she feels like it.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Tarantulas acting weird?????? I think its more of a concern if you have a T that acts "normal." In fact I'm not sure that there is a normal for a T.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
1) Yeah, they can take their sweet time about emerging post moult, it's usually nothing to worry about, just make sure you keep its water dish topped up.

2) That's pretty much normal, my B. smithi almost never uses her hide.

I have several Tarantulas that just tend to chill in weird places, my Lp doesn't ever go in her hide but chills in one corner on top of it or tries to wedge herself down the side of it, my G. iheringi used web up the top of its hide and chill there until I rehoused it, my A. geniculata occasionally likes to pretend to be arboreal and my B. albopilosum dug a burrow under her hide but prefers to sit out in the open rather than use it.

Like @MetalMan2004 said, I think it's more rare to get a T that isn't a complete oddball in some way or the other, it's what makes them so intriguing.