B. Smithi age

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
what age should a B. smithi before putting into a permanent tank im hearing allot of mixed opinions

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Who are you hearing mixed opinions from?

The question shouldn't be what age...it should be what size.

Also, can you define 'permanent tank'? It could be a kritter keeper, or a ten-gallon, or anything else, for that matter. For me, the size of the tank would determine how big the spider would be before putting it in.

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
first by permanent i mean 10 gallon or whatever you feel best but i want along that line i asked this kinda question before someone said three inch leg span then move them other guy said do not at all for this species

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a very hard time reading run-on sentences.

If you could add some punctuation, I'd appreciate it and I might be able to help you more.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
first, by permanent i mean 10 gallon or whatever you feel best, but i want along that line. i asked this kinda question before, someone said three inch leg span then move them, other guy said do not at all for this species
In all honesty, their tanks should increase as their size increases. If cost is a factor to you there are many threads on here that have quite a bit of information on enclosures, care and the like. Some species are ok with moving from one container to another while others might not be, but for those we just give them time to adapt. There are a few rules of thumb about, and those can be found in many similar threads to this.

If i were you, i would click that link in the signature of xhexdx. It's a good link.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I kept my smithi in a deli cup until about 2" and then I transferred it to a smaller exo terra breeder. Box. When it hits 4" or so I will move it to a 5 gallon tank for the rest of it's days. Man Joe hates bad grammar and sentence structure as much as I do. I have a hard time not correcting people's misspelled words on the forum...

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
OK apologies for the bad grammar guys. OK so the tank increases in size along with the T, I have from what i was told 2 females and a male of this species i cant tell myself as they are pretty small, so for both m/f whats the max size they'll ever need.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Max size, a 5 gallon would do fine, if you dont have alot of space.

If space is not an issue, then put the females in a 10 gallon when they hit 3.5"-4". It will still be quite large for them. So, be sure to add enough substrate in the enclosure so they do not climb the sides and fall.

The male, I would go to Wal-Mart, or somewhere that sells small plastic tubs, and place him in it. Once he mature, you dont want him in nothing to large. To much space, and he will wonder everywhere, & run out what little life he has left...

You could also get the plastic tubs for the females, & they would do just fine in them as well... Its cheaper, if you need to safe money.