b.jacksoni

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just a couple of questions i am getting a couple of b.jacksoni in the next week or so and i was wondering where are they from what type of set up they require:? and are they communal and also do they have a english name

fatbloke

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tanzania is the common place they are brought into the trade from, though they probably dwell just outside that area as well. They are not communal, but can be kept in small numbers in a large enough enclosure. Commonly, I see them referred to as Red Bark scorpions, Tanzanian Rusty and Tanzanian Devil Scorpions. I am unsure about the most commonly used name. Great scorpions! I just love the subaculear spine (small point next to the sting).

adios,
edw. =D

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah they are great little scorps. You can check out a care sheet Here but other than the basics they are pretty simple to keep. I have kept 13 juvi's togther for quite a long time, DO NOT under feed if kept togther, i lost a couple durring molts to their tank mates. Other than that they seem to live ok togther. A water dish some dry peat, bark and they are happy.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I love the subaculear spine!!! GREAT PIC, STEVE!!! I gotta save that to my list of pics on the comp. I suppose it's why I want Tityus scorpions so badly.

adios,
edw. =D

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I’ve heard them most commonly called Red Bark scorpions. I’ve recently acquired some and they are interesting to observe. Are they communal? Well, I keep a group of four in a 20L. They seem to tolerate each other very well...at least better than my H. spadix did. Anyway, I use an inch gravel underlay with a three-inch layer of peat. I have a few large flat stones that are partially covered by the peat. I keep a number of different pieces of bark as hides and from what I understand, they do not burrow. I am currently in the process of adding few more bark hides for the scorpions. I’ve noticed that they tend to use hides that are closer to the ground as apposed to the vertical hides against the back wall of the enclosure. I keep the humidity around 60% and the temp about 85. If all goes well in the next few weeks I may add another pair into the enclosure.

W. Smith

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I’ve heard that Odontorus dentatus is often imported as Babycurus jacksoni. I think they are from about the same area. From what I understand is that O. dentatus has a larger subaculear spine that B. jacksoni. Anyone else have a method of distinguishing the two species?

W. Smith

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
B. jacksoni reaches 3 inches, O. dentatus, I believe, only reaches around 2, maybe even a little less. B. jacksoni, in all photos I've ever seen, the subaculear spine was the same color as the sting (black or a variation thereof), O. dentatus, subaculear was always the same color as the aculeus (usually being the slight reddish coloration or yellowish coloration). Sixth caudal segment is more elongated in B. jacksoni as well, or at least it appears as such in all my pics (females may be more easily confused because the sixth metasomal segment [caudal segment] may be less elongated and appear thicker than males, but I haven't gotten so in depth with these species yet). The coloration of one subaculear spine being lighter than the other may account for a possible misconception of it being longer. Lighter things usually have a tendency to appear larger, in most cases. Then again, this part is just a guess because all the subaculear spines appear to be as pronounced as the other species in my pics. At least, when compared to the sting, itself.

adios,
edw. =D

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool looking scorp! The orange w/ yellow striping is just kewl. Curious tho, what's the venom on these guys like?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I don't have time to find the link where it was stated before, but it was said to have a medium potency venom, so it's not going to kill someone. It's also not going to feel very good either though. Could have qute painful systemic effects if one were to have any reaction which was out of the ordinary.

adios,
edw. :)