B.Dubia Question

Dibs

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,
I must first apologize if this has come up before, im horrible w the search feature, I just plain suck at using it.

Well long story short, when I went to lay down last night I heard my B.Dubia colony goin nuts. I have them in a 10 gal tank and its on the other side of my room so I usually barely hear them. I grabbed the flashlight and looked in there, and the only way I can describe it was an all out war between all the males in there. They were chasing each other, and I guess trying to "bite" each other. The first generation from the original group I got has recently matured so theres a ton of new males. Finally I got tired of hearing it and started raging, pulled out about 15 males and froze em. Then it was all good, everything was quiet lol.

Has anyone experienced this or can anyone describe what the heck was goin on for me? Thanks a bunch.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A female either recently matured or decided to allow herself to be fertilized again.

gothra

Arachnopeon
Yea, I hear that once in a while. The males will also flutter their wings trying to fly out the container too. There is no way I want to open the lid when this is happening though.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea, I hear that once in a while. The males will also flutter their wings trying to fly out the container too. There is no way I want to open the lid when this is happening though.
They are not known for any form of flight. I wouldn't worry about the wing fluttering and opening the container what that is happening. typically when i disturb my colony they hide and thats the end of it.

gothra

Arachnopeon
I don't mean that they can fly...but I have seen them jump and flutter some distance. In fact, I had one male fluttered out of the tub before, that's why I'm leaving more space between the top of the egg crates to the rim of the tub now.

Dibs

Arachnopeon
Ive had the same happen, seems like they try to launch themselves then flutter.