B. Boemei closed her burrow?

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
My little b. boehmei spiderling (about an inch or so leg span), has created a burow, but closed herself in on the top. I can't see the side of the burrow, but from the bottom of the enclosure, i can sometimes spot her just sitting there and not moving. this happened a few days after i moved her into a larger enclosure, and given her more substrate. Is this normal? I was thinking she did it because she's close to molting, but i'm slightly nervous that the burrow might have closed in itself.
Help?

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Relax, it knows what it's doing. Your first instinct that it's about to molt is probably spot on. They do this and will come out probably after it hardens a bit after the molt. I would suggest leaving it be and let it do its thing.:D

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
Thanks! that's what i was hoping! Little thing scared me, i look in her container and was like...he escaped! Then i see a little spot that looks lower, and see it's a closed in burrow! Haha!

I just wanted to be sure that the substrate didn't just fall in or something.

Also, for people whos t's did this, how long did they stay in the burrow?

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It really varies depending on species and temps. and humidity play an even larger role. I've had slings stay in for a week and up to a month before coming out. My P. regalis has retreated to her hole for well over a months time before molting and reemerging.

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
Well, the temp in my house is always between 74-76ish, and i spray the enclosure every few days.
I didn't think b. boehmeis were the type that'd stay in a burrow for long periods of time...

unprofessional

Arachnopeon
Lots of spiders do this in premolt. It's hard to know how long it's going to last. I've had an LP, a very quick growing T, do this and refuse food for two months straight, then had two molts in quick succession. Not saying that same thing is going to happen, just that we can't know or predict how it's going to work for the tarantula.

She'll come out when she's molted.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Yea, my 2" P. Irminia did the same thing a couple days ago... Just doesn't make sense, it molted not very long ago at all. Lets check my handy dandy records :cool: And it molted... 10/13. :eek: WHAT?!?! It's already been over a month {D Yay, premolt it is! Man do I love my Tarantula Keepers Guide! What would I do without it? Probably lose track of time :rolleyes:

bksbuddha

Arachnopeon
I was so confused when my Allure (H. lividum) did that. When I asked a guy at the petstore I go to, :mad: he decided to have some fun w/me & keep repeating that she was stressed out & gonna die. Obviously, I didn't think that was funny at all. My little bugger stayed down for exactly 2 months, but she's 2 years old. :) I do hope that your little bugger doesn't keep you in suspense for too long.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your B. boehmei is likely preparing for a molt. Mist lightly (the substrate, not the spider!), and be patient. :)

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
Yea, my 2" P. Irminia did the same thing a couple days ago... Just doesn't make sense, it molted not very long ago at all. Lets check my handy dandy records :cool: And it molted... 10/13. :eek: WHAT?!?! It's already been over a month {D Yay, premolt it is! Man do I love my Tarantula Keepers Guide! What would I do without it? Probably lose track of time :rolleyes:
I didn't know P. Irminia's burrow? Hahaha, well i'm excited he's going to molt!

I was so confused when my Allure (H. lividum) did that. When I asked a guy at the petstore I go to, :mad: he decided to have some fun w/me & keep repeating that she was stressed out & gonna die. Obviously, I didn't think that was funny at all. My little bugger stayed down for exactly 2 months, but she's 2 years old. :) I do hope that your little bugger doesn't keep you in suspense for too long.
I would have been very upset if somebody told me that as a joke, what ajerk! And i hope he doesn't stay in there too too long, he's one of my favorite species, and i miss seeing him already haha.

Your B. boehmei is likely preparing for a molt. Mist lightly (the substrate, not the spider!), and be patient. :)
Haha, i am trying to be patient! :)

thanks for the help everyone!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! that's what i was hoping! Little thing scared me, i look in her container and was like...he escaped! Then i see a little spot that looks lower, and see it's a closed in burrow! Haha!

They can be sneaky like that. They can also make you worry like crazy when they don't re-emerge for months, but it is normal. You have to trust that the tarantula knows what it best for its own well being. :) Digging it out can cause injury, so resist the urge!

If the burrow had collapsed, it would have been able to dig itself out. It dug the burrow to begin with and can dig itself out if its excavations weren't supported well enough. ;)

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
They can be sneaky like that. They can also make you worry like crazy when they don't re-emerge for months, but it is normal. You have to trust that the tarantula knows what it best for its own well being. :) Digging it out can cause injury, so resist the urge!

If the burrow had collapsed, it would have been able to dig itself out. It dug the burrow to begin with and can dig itself out if its excavations weren't supported well enough. ;)
Well, it's good to know that i don't need to worry even if it did collapse. Odd, though...I never thought i'd be seeing my little t. cupreus more than my b. boehmei! Haha!

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

My P. cambridgei is in her burrow close to three weeks now. They will get out when they feel the time is right. :)