B. boehmei moulting in very tight corner. *PICS*

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, my B. boehmei hates its substrate. That became quite evident after seeing where it chose to moult. The spider (haven't taken out the exuvium yet, sex still unknown) has spent 60-70% of its time on the roof of the coco nut lately, obviously not a good sign. I didn't want to stress it with a substrate change when in pre-moult, though, so this was just the way it had to be.

It was crammed down in the corner when I woke up this morning. I immediately realised it was moulting, so I must admit I got a little scared. I have never seen a spider moult in such a confined space. Anyone with similar experiences?

Anyhow, definately a moment worthy of some pictures. Everything seems to have worked out fine, it's now resting. The colours are absolutely stunning! Deep red legs, and probably the nicest behind I've ever seen. ;) You can see hints of the red in one of the pictures.

Post-moult pics coming up later.

This is where it chose to moult:

Another view:

Last edited:

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
when I worked at a pet store one of the B. smithis we got in had moulted in its deli cup while being shipped to our store. The floor of the cup was roughly the same size as the T's legspan, and the whole thing was really only slightly larger than the T. She was fine.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow! thats a tight space I have never seen one do that before but I am glad the molt was successful.

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
congrats on the molt... wat substrates did u use anyway...

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice! My B boehmei just molted out recently too and now it eats like a beast.

Last edited:

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MeteoRa said:
wat substrates did u use anyway...
It was potting soil. Seems like it sticks to the legs (tarsus). I will change it to peat.

Turns out one or two legs got deformed, plus there's a piece of skin stuck on the abdomen. I will wait a couple of days, then use the paint brush method if the piece is still there. Looks like everything should be fine, I'm up for some minor challenges.

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
About four months ago, the night after moving him to a new tank, my male boehmei molted wedged between the bark hide and side of the tank. Odd since he was about 4.5" and molted 30 days earlier. One leg didn't come out of the molt. Nearly a day later when it still hadn't, I tied to carefully remove the molt but ended up losing the leg. Several other legs were bent funny and dried that way. He had a faded or grayish look for a while. But he didn't seem to miss a beat and just molted again last week. Now the missing leg has grown about 2/3 back and the other legs are normal again. Hope your molt is less problematic. Does the time seem about right for a molt, or too brief a period like mine? By the way, mine is on 50/50 peat/potting soil, as are all my Ts.

-John

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Overmenneske said:
Turns out one or two legs got deformed, plus there's a piece of skin stuck on the abdomen. I will wait a couple of days, then use the paint brush method if the piece is still there. Looks like everything should be fine, I'm up for some minor challenges.
Hopefully, everything goes well! I wish you luck!

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Strange, my boehmi molted last night as well. At least now I know why it was refusing to eat.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice...you can tell that it just molted...mine is a little bigger than yours i think..