B. boehmei enclosure

Seanspiders

Arachnopeon
Okay asking once more cuz I’m anxious since I’ve had Twix only for a week. Is his enclosure suitable or are there any changes I should make? (I got rid of the moss) is his hide big enough, the overall enclosure, is there enough substrate, etc? I know Ts tend to be the opposite of claustrophobic but I’m wondering if I should be good to upgrade him in a molt or two. I know they’re like pet rocks but I wanna make sure I’m being a good spider dad lol

also he’s 50/50 on the substrate and the walls of the tub. Is this a sign of stress since it’s a terrestrial tarantula? I’d like some opinions on this as well to make sure he’s comfy.

thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
enclosure size looks just fine, as does the hide. But it looks too damp, which isnt a big deal, as its really only damp on one side...just let it dry out.....I know you know, but I will say it anyway...lose the moss, its a hinderance, not a help.

It could use a little more sub, but its not really all that critical and will be fine.

Seanspiders

Arachnopeon
enclosure size looks just fine, as does the hide. But it looks too damp, which isnt a big deal, as its really only damp on one side...just let it dry out.....I know you know, but I will say it anyway...lose the moss, its a hinderance, not a help.

It could use a little more sub, but its not really all that critical and will be fine.
Will lose moss. And alright, if it’s fine for now! I do want to get a tarantula cribs enclosure at some point.
And yeah the side has been drying out for a while, over-misted when I first got him out of habit lol

Seanspiders

Arachnopeon
Those cribs are over priced
Nah, I like them. My jumper is currently housed in one and it’s great! I also get stuff cheaper with codes from yters and such. They’re super good quality, lots of shape/size choices, good ventilation, strong magnets to hold lids etc. personally I think they’re great

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Looks way to damp. Make the sub moist and let it dry and the cycle repeats.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Enclosure size is adequate IMHO, as is substrate depth and the hid etc. Only thing you might wanna improve is ventilation.. just drill a few more holes in there and you should be good.

For moisture, all you need to do given the species is to overflow the water dish for a few seconds every week or so.

Seanspiders

Arachnopeon
Enclosure size is adequate IMHO, as is substrate depth and the hid etc. Only thing you might wanna improve is ventilation.. just drill a few more holes in there and you should be good.

For moisture, all you need to do given the species is to overflow the water dish for a few seconds every week or so.
Thanks! I know substrate is a bit low but I don’t have anything else atm. The vendor I got him from (Tarantulas Canada) said the bin I got him in would last for 1/2 molts, I upgraded him anyway. I can see that being true for huge tarantula keepers/collections but he’s my only one lol

This is what I got him in

Looks way to damp. Make the sub moist and let it dry and the cycle repeats.
I already talked about this above. :) I overnisted out of habit when I first got him so it’s been drying out for a bit. It’s not bothering him though, he’s still chilling on the substrate

Attachments

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantula Cribs are pricey, but they are also thick, clear acrylic, well made, look snazzy for display and most importantly support a local T keeper versus the huge, corporate conglomerate. Don't know many who could afford to use these for larger numbers of small - mid DLS Ts, but for the lower number of Ts that I have, my juvies and subadults are in those or herpcults. As they outgrow them, they get passed down to the next round. Only issue I've had is the 8" cube has 1/16" vent holes in 1/4" acrylic. Lots of them, but tiny. I drilled out the lid to 1/8" holes.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Tarantula Cribs are pricey, but they are also thick, clear acrylic, well made, look snazzy for display and most importantly support a local T keeper versus the huge, corporate conglomerate. Don't know many who could afford to use these for larger numbers of small - mid DLS Ts, but for the lower number of Ts that I have, my juvies and subadults are in those or herpcults. As they outgrow them, they get passed down to the next round. Only issue I've had is the 8" cube has 1/16" vent holes in 1/4" acrylic. Lots of them, but tiny. I drilled out the lid to 1/8" holes.
So these containers are for smaller spiders? I’ve only got one acrylic container and it was tiny and not this brand . Ofc it’s not in usage or any clue we’re it’s at . Half my glass cages have plexi lids though .

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Acrylic enclosures make next to no sense whatsoever given the price. If you can get em for the right price, then yeah by all means. But I usually see them for ridiculous figures, and it just doesn't sit well with me. For juveniles and slings use a transparent Tupperware container or plastic toolbox from the nearest dollar store (I usually pay less than 3 bucks for these). If you have an adult or subadult T that you'd like to display, what I do is I look for a used exo Terra terrarium or fish tank on Facebook marketplace... It'll be a bigger enclosure, it'll look at least as good and be much more scratch and scuff resistant, while costing significantly less.

for a species like this that is kept predominantly dry, very little ventilation is actually needed,
Well, he has moss in there and he seems to be keeping it a bit humid. I agree that they don't need much humidity outside of a water dish, but I guess just to stay safe if he's gonna keep the moss in there.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Acrylic enclosures make next to no sense whatsoever given the price. If you can get em for the right price, then yeah by all means. But I usually see them for ridiculous figures, and it just doesn't sit well with me. For juveniles and slings use a transparent Tupperware container or plastic toolbox from the nearest dollar store (I usually pay less than 3 bucks for these). If you have an adult or subadult T that you'd like to display, what I do is I look for a used exo Terra terrarium or fish tank on Facebook marketplace... It'll be a bigger enclosure, it'll look at least as good and be much more scratch and scuff resistant, while costing significantly less.

Well, he has moss in there and he seems to be keeping it a bit humid. I agree that they don't need much humidity outside of a water dish, but I guess just to stay safe if he's gonna keep the moss in there.
yeah plastic shoebox are great ensclosures. Acrylic is so pricey ! o_O
Why are 10 gallon glass tank’s costlier than 5? It seems the 5 is big enough for most spiders but 10 are huge gotta fill half with substrate.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
So these containers are for smaller spiders? I’ve only got one acrylic container and it was tiny and not this brand . Ofc it’s not in usage or any clue we’re it’s at . Half my glass cages have plexi lids though .
Acrylic will bow at larger sizes.

Seanspiders

Arachnopeon
for a species like this that is kept predominantly dry, very little ventilation is actually needed,
Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well, I’ll add some more holes to the top though, just for good measure.

As I’ve said multiple times, the moss is completely out. And I’ve explained the dampness 3 times as well. You can go find that in the thread. I’m going to add some more holes on the top for good measure.