B. auratum behaviour

Poolnymph

Arachnopeon
Hi All,

Well, I haven't been here in quite sometime and since the last time I was here, my T family has grown from 1 to 14, with 2 more kids on the way!:D

While I occassionally handle all my T's (Except my Harpactira gigas and P. regalis), by sling B. auratum (approx. 2cm) is displaying really odd behaviour

I don't know if this has happened to anyone, but if it has maybe you can shed some light for me. I was cleaning, feeding and watering my T's a while ago and of course fitting in some playtime with them too when I got to my B. auratum sling, I took him out and he flattened himself against my finger and refused to move...the only thing I can think of was that he was scared...but of what!? I've handled him before and never did this....so I'm at a loss, I battled my butt off to get him back inside his enclosure, because he just wouldn't let go.....he reminded me of someone with a height phobia that tried to climb a ladder and then froze with fear.....

Is it possible that he was scared, or was he actually trying to bite me?:? :? I've tried handling him again recently and I had the same reaction.

I've heard that auratum's can be more nervous and aggressive than smithi's - is this true?

Help!?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi All,

Well, I haven't been here in quite sometime and since the last time I was here, my T family has grown from 1 to 14, with 2 more kids on the way!:D

While I occassionally handle all my T's (Except my Harpactira gigas and P. regalis), by sling B. auratum (approx. 2cm) is displaying really odd behaviour

I don't know if this has happened to anyone, but if it has maybe you can shed some light for me. I was cleaning, feeding and watering my T's a while ago and of course fitting in some playtime with them too when I got to my B. auratum sling, I took him out and he flattened himself against my finger and refused to move...the only thing I can think of was that he was scared...but of what!? I've handled him before and never did this....so I'm at a loss, I battled my butt off to get him back inside his enclosure, because he just wouldn't let go.....he reminded me of someone with a height phobia that tried to climb a ladder and then froze with fear.....

Is it possible that he was scared, or was he actually trying to bite me?:? :? I've tried handling him again recently and I had the same reaction.

I've heard that auratum's can be more nervous and aggressive than smithi's - is this true?

Help!?
Mine is definitly more skittish. The smithis tend to tolerate anything I do in the tanks when cleaning, the auaratums high tail it to the dens and won't come out. If he does get caught in the open, he pretty much runs in circles occasionally flicking hairs as he goes.

Poolnymph

Arachnopeon
Thanks Hedorah99!:D but do you think the auratum is trying to bite, or is it just scared?:?

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think if he was trying to bite, he would have done it. And I also don't think T's have many of the emotions you're trying to ascribe to him. They are action-reactionary creatures, mostly impulse behaviours in response to stumuli.

I will say mine is a spastic gal. Any movement of anything on her shelf and she runs laps around her container. I wouldn't dare handle any of my T's anyway, and she'd be high up on the list. I'd be afraid she'd run off my hand and go *splat* on the floor.

Poolnymph

Arachnopeon
Thanks Ladies - much appreciated.:D

Taceas, I used the more "human" description of emotions to try describe the behaviour, because I've never encountered or heard of this behaviour..it's weird having a sling "superglued" to your finger and then refusing to budge.:?

I do handle most of my T's, but then I sit on the floor, so there's no risk of a fall....although I have had to do some T chasing on the carpet, but rather that than a fall.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To answer your question: The spiderling is probably bracing itself to avoid falling off the edge of your finger. IMO If the tarantula wanted to bite you it would have sunk it's fangs into your finger.

IME tarantulas will not move or allow themselves to be prodded if they sense that there isn't solid ground where they are being prodded to. They will first move one or more legs forward and if they can't find anything solid they will not move.

If you want it to move then let them feel a solid surface wherever you want them to move. It's not a for sure method but, it increases your chances of getting it to move where you want it to be.

Every situation is different but, the above method seems to work for me.

Brian

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Ladies - much appreciated.:D

Taceas, I used the more "human" description of emotions to try describe the behaviour, because I've never encountered or heard of this behaviour..it's weird having a sling "superglued" to your finger and then refusing to budge.:?

I do handle most of my T's, but then I sit on the floor, so there's no risk of a fall....although I have had to do some T chasing on the carpet, but rather that than a fall.
who are you calling lady? :? :evil: :evil:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Poolnymph pls show us some pics of your h.gigas.these arent really in the hobby often to my knowledge

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
superglue behavior

I say also that the sling, being on your finger, is reacting to not feeling a wider surface, and doesnt want to move because, their instinct is to feel for a solid surface in front of them, before moving further. I have often seen my slings really stretch their front legs out, ahead of them, feeling for a solid surface, any time they reach an edge of their tree climb. I would think not feeling a solid surface anywhere on 3 sides of them, would cause the sling to stay put.

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I first looked at my P. Cambridgei sling, I made a slight mistake and took it from its vial..It took off.. stopped at the edge of a box on my desk at work and froze...
I tried to gather it, it took off again, then froze.
I did get it back in, and have not handled it since, it is now almost 2 inches with leg width.
It froze on your finger probably as a instinctive reaction.
We do tend to anthropromorphize our pets.
I love my two Trindad chevrons, and am happy with their growth.
But I know now how and why they do what they do.
That goes for all T's.
Carol

Poolnymph

Arachnopeon
who are you calling lady? :? :evil: :evil:
Uhm Hedorah - Sorry, didn't realise, please don't take it personally....will you forgive me?:worship: *Poolnymph blushes various shades of red*:eek:

Everyone (not getting gender specific again:) )...Thanks very much for all the advice - I'll definately try it.

Syndicate, I'll post some pics this weekend of my H. gigas - I'm not familiar with how "available" this particular species is in the rest of the world, but they aren't often found here in captivity either, as they are indigenous, so I am VERY fortunate to have her. Surprisingly, she has quite a docile nature, especially in comparison to other species of Baboon spiders and I most definately would NOT handle her, but she does let me rub her butt sometimes - which is great...no urticating hairs and it feels like velvet!:D She's also very easy to transfer to another container when it's cage cleaning time and isn't skittish.

Once again everyone, many Thanks!:D