B. angustum questions.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We're getting two adults into the pet store soon(late this week), I'm setting up enclosures tomorrow, and have a few questions.

Are these guys fairly docile? Handleable?

As for enclosure, I'm thinking that it's going to be very similar to any desert species set up, peat/soil mix, kept bone dry, open water dish, 1.5x climbing height or less. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Feel free to post if you have some advice, or suggestions, or random info. Much appreciated.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We're getting two adults into the pet store soon(late this week), I'm setting up enclosures tomorrow, and have a few questions.

Are these guys fairly docile? Handleable?

As for enclosure, I'm thinking that it's going to be very similar to any desert species set up, peat/soil mix, kept bone dry, open water dish, 1.5x climbing height or less. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Feel free to post if you have some advice, or suggestions, or random info. Much appreciated.
Glad you're getting them...they're a great Brachy.
First, NO, don't keep them bone dry. This is a tropical forest species that lives in high humidity. A peat/soil mix is great...but give them a water bowl and keep one side of it moist.
They are big burrowers, so you should give them 6-8 inches of substrate to burrow down into.
Also, they are not B. vagans...and are not really a good "handleable" species. They will flick and will bite if they're in their angry mood...
Other than that, they are very hardy, are generally cool with coming out of their burrow to hang...and are really beautiful after a molt.

Good luck,
Chris

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i keep mine like i keep albopilosum..and haven't had a problem....yeah mine are kind of skid-dish but they are pretty docile....hope that helps

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are big burrowers, so you should give them 6-8 inches of substrate to burrow down into.
I agree an B. angustum is agreat T. Be prepared not to see too much till it reaches a fair size. You said you're getting adults which is great. My B angustum I didn't see for the first 6 months. Now she is out every night.

Let em dig. Let it get comfortable, and they'll come out bigger and prettier than you remember.

Good luck and good choice.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really?
Are You all talking about Brachypelma angustum? And who prove them to be B. angustum but not anythibg else?

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Really?
Are You all talking about Brachypelma angustum? And who prove them to be B. angustum but not anythibg else?
Buddy, you make it sound like there's only five left in the world, and we're getting the 2 out of 5 in. Geeze.

I'll post pics when I can.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:? :? all of mine were freebies soo they must not be that rare....