B. Albopilosum sling (from Holley) feeding question

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am curious what others who got curly slings from Holley are feeding theirs at this point. Mine are getting to the point that I am having to give them like two or more 2-week crickets at a time......I am a bit hesitant to give them a full size cricket or a mealworm at this point even though I believe they could take them down. I am worried a full size cricket may injure the little guys and the larger crickets also stink more than the 2-weekers (I really hate to use stinky crickets)...I am not sure about whether or not mealworms could pose any danger to the slings at this point....
so what are you guys/gals using at this point????
I am mainly asking the other people who got slings from Holley because I believe they are all probably similar in size and I am curious what others are doing with similar sized slings of the same species.....but other ideas/suggestions are also welcome.....

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine are close to 2 inches now and they will take down full size cricket without much difficulty. I would personally prefer them a bit smaller, but mature crickets are what I have on hand at the moment and they're chomping them.

Botar

SoCalKyle

Arachnopeon
Ill never forget my 2in King Baboon used to take on full size crickets. And she would jump on those bastards and ride around on them like horseback. But she always came out the victor. But if i may make a suggestion that you drop the crickets in keep an eye on them until they have been killed. 9-10 times you shouldnt have a problem but there is always that cricket with some attitude. ;P

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'm still feeding mine mini and small mealworms since I'm now raising them. Has worked well so far for me, but mealworms are a big pain, too.
Some of mine are chicken, and some will jump right on anything I throw down for them. I have 15 left, which is just about what I wanted to keep out of six hundred and something!

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Botar.......are you pulling the hind legs off of those adult cricks or not??
Immortal_Sin.......what do you mean when you say the mealworms are a pain too??
I have used meal worms for my larger spiders in the past and thought they were cleaner and easier than crickets as long as the worm doesnt burrow immediately....i am having difficulty getting any mealworms that are smaller than the standard size for mealworms (not superworms)......

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kosh
Botar.......are you pulling the hind legs off of those adult cricks or not??
Nope. Whole, mature, live crickets. The common plan of attack from the curlies seems to be to ambush them from below and pull them down into the burrow. Not enough room for the cricket to kick much and from the angle of attack, not much of an opportunity for the cricket to bite back.

I realize the risk, kind of similar to feeding live mice to snakes, but I've not seen any problems. Granted, in any situation, given enough time, even the most unlikely of scenarios will occur.

Botar

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Mine, although not from the same person, are all at almost 2" after the last molt. Can't keep 'em full on small or med. crix. I give an adult cricket, but with full supervision only! I don't leave them alone together untill the cricket is dead, or the T shows no interest and the cricket is removed.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
mealworms are a pain because they bury themselves if not pounced on right away. They have to be watched closely, and I can't feed them to the babies if they are coming up on a molt.
Sometimes, I just crush the head and leave it in there a day or so, that works pretty well too.