B. Albo Sling Enclosure

NuigurumiOtaku

Arachnopeon
I received my first T, a 1" B. Albopilosum sling in the mail yesterday. Since putting him in the enclosure he's barely left the little hide I put in there; which I believe is normal. I was wondering though, should've I made him a starting burrow that he could build off of? I read that starting a burrow and keeping the lower layers of substrate moist is a good way to keep them hydrated and help them acclimate. I just don't want to stress him out more, but it might be worth it in the long run?

Fuzzy.jpg Fuzzy2.jpg

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slings acclimate more easy than larger individuals. Just put it in a delicup with moist substrate is iften enough. They are such avid burrower that a starter burrow is unnesessary!

LailaQ

Arachnosquire
What about burying the hide a bit, to give more access to the substrate under the hide? I’m talking about a piece of round cork bark (what I have handy), and putting it into a depression, angled into the substrate—like a tunnel, into the “ground”. That way, the T has a choice of using just the round cork bark, or burying under and having the cork bark be a secure entrance.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
what is so hard about this: remove the bottoms of a hide, or even better just use a cork flat. hides are normally just pieces of wood your dont need anything fancy.

just over fill the water dish, that's it.

should've I made him a starting burrow that he could build off of?
trivial.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I received my first T, a 1" B. Albopilosum sling in the mail yesterday. Since putting him in the enclosure he's barely left the little hide I put in there; which I believe is normal. I was wondering though, should've I made him a starting burrow that he could build off of? I read that starting a burrow and keeping the lower layers of substrate moist is a good way to keep them hydrated and help them acclimate. I just don't want to stress him out more, but it might be worth it in the long run?
I'm more concerned about the weight of what you've used for a hide. They will burrow as youngsters and will easily burrow under that. I would be concerned if the burrow collapsed and that fell on him.
Good job on the setup overall, though. Nice size, water dish, deep substrate and a hide. You've obviously done your research.

What about burying the hide a bit, to give more access to the substrate under the hide? I’m talking about a piece of round cork bark (what I have handy), and putting it into a depression, angled into the substrate—like a tunnel, into the “ground”. That way, the T has a choice of using just the round cork bark, or burying under and having the cork bark be a secure entrance.
I always bury it just as you've described. Not only does it provide a more natural looking hide, but it also gives more floor space, because they can walk around on top of it. A lot of mine hang out on top of it.
DSC04214-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NuigurumiOtaku

Arachnopeon
I'm more concerned about the weight of what you've used for a hide. They will burrow as youngsters and will easily burrow under that. I would be concerned if the burrow collapsed and that fell on him.
Good job on the setup overall, though. Nice size, water dish, deep substrate and a hide. You've obviously done your research.
I have! But it slipped my mind about the burrowing. The hide has a bottom, so my sling can't burrow. I feel awful about it because it's just blocked the entrance with substrate. Should I carefully take out the T and replace the hide with something more suitable?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If you have a piece of cork bark or something that is half circle shaped, I would replace it before he gets too comfortable. Better now than later.

NuigurumiOtaku

Arachnopeon
If you have a piece of cork bark or something that is half circle shaped, I would replace it before he gets too comfortable. Better now than later.
Thanks for the advice! I've replaced it with something more suitable; hopefully he'll be much more comfortable now.