B. albiceps (ruhnaui)

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think i've read all i could find about this species on this board. They are absolutely stunning looking brachy's in my opinnion. i was just wondering why they are not more popular. :confused: Are they just really rare in captivity in the US? i haven't had any luck finding any slings for sale nor any adults - though i expect i probably couldn't afford an adult at this time. i guess i'm just surprised there doesn't seem to be more interest in them. It actually seems like it would to be a lot easier to find a P. metallica. Any reason why this isn't a more sought after species - or maybe it is and i'm not aware of it because i'm still new here?? i realize comparing Brachy's and Pokie's is like apples and oranges. They're very different from each other but both nice looking T's. Obviously if one doesn't care for Brachy's they won't be anymore interested in this species. i am quite fond of Brachy's and wish i could get more info on this beautiful species. If i missed a link in my search, please let me know and i'll go searching again... Thanks!

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have an adult female and an unsexed 2.5" sling. they are typical brachys - not very defensive pet rocks that tend to kick hairs when annoyed. they stay out in the open a lot, but also burrow as small slings. they like it mostly dry with a big water dish.
i don't know about the us, but they are regularly available in europe and thus affordable - you pay around 10 $ for a 2nd instar sling here, and about 75-100 bucks for a subadult to adult female.
it's certainly a gorgeous species, and i like mine a lot. i hope my juvie is a male, so i can try breeding them in a year or two...

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got mine about a year ago and paid $60 for an unsexed at 1". It's still the most I've spent on one T, but I REALLY REALLY wanted one. She :)D !!!) is now about 3.5" and looking gorgeous. She is absolutely a pet rock. She sits in one spot, immobile until food appears. At that point, she's the fastest feeder I've got. It's such a stark contrast, but she nails her crickets before they even hit the dirt. If you can hunt one down, you won't regret it.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
um, i think that's not right (refering to the link). the species is now officially brachypelma albiceps, not aphonopelma.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I paid $41 for mine about 6 months ago @ 1" its 1.25" now (moulted a few weeks ago) Mines basically a pet rock as well and a picky eater and if you mess w/it to much a hair flicker.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!

um, i think that's not right (refering to the link). the species is now officially brachypelma albiceps, not aphonopelma.
What are You talking about?
Sorry, don't understand. it is really Brachypelma albiceps and where do You find the opposite statement?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
as far as i understood from the site, it claims that b. ruhnaui is now called aphonopelma albiceps. did i get that wrong? i'm not a native speaker as well.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as far as i understood from the site, it claims that b. ruhnaui is now called aphonopelma albiceps. did i get that wrong? i'm not a native speaker as well.
i am certainly no expert on T's in any way but from what i've been able to read about this species it's been renamed/reclassified quiet a bit recently. i think it was first Brachypelma ruhnaui, then Aphonopelma albiceps and the most recent decision is in fact Brachypelma albiceps. Perhaps somebody more experienced can confirm or correct this.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
O.k., Look here, No.3 for news 2006.
http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/566#top

In accordance with the paper mentioned the following statements were proposed (the translation from spanish has been provided by Emmanuel Goyer):
1. In 1995, A.M. Smith possess that the female type specimen of Aphonopelma pallidum (F.O.P.-Cambridge, 1897), does not pertain to this species and therefore names it Aphonopelma albiceps.
2. Upon review (whom?) of the female holotype of this species (A. albiceps), deposited in the BMNH (presumably by Smith, A.), it was found to correspond to the genus Brachypelma Simon 1891: urticating setae type I and III and the wide form of the spermathecal seminal receptacles.
All this allowing to the authors to made the following statement:
Aphonopelma albiceps -> Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma ruhnaui = Brachypelma albiceps.

Last edited:

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think i've read all i could find about this species on this board. They are absolutely stunning looking brachy's in my opinnion. i was just wondering why they are not more popular. :confused: Are they just really rare in captivity in the US? i haven't had any luck finding any slings for sale nor any adults - though i expect i probably couldn't afford an adult at this time. i guess i'm just surprised there doesn't seem to be more interest in them. It actually seems like it would to be a lot easier to find a P. metallica. Any reason why this isn't a more sought after species - or maybe it is and i'm not aware of it because i'm still new here?? i realize comparing Brachy's and Pokie's is like apples and oranges. They're very different from each other but both nice looking T's. Obviously if one doesn't care for Brachy's they won't be anymore interested in this species. i am quite fond of Brachy's and wish i could get more info on this beautiful species. If i missed a link in my search, please let me know and i'll go searching again... Thanks!
Indeed you're right, the B. albiceps is very rare sp. in the hobby, I'm living in France and well in Europe is common to find this sp. like Alice said but in America is difficult to find it but not impossible.. I bought two slings one month ago by 10 sterling pounds.. they are a great pet rock, If you can get one of this do it, are a really nice sp.
And yes I have read about this and is officialy called Brachypelma Albiceps

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I believe its now officially B. albiceps...and this is also the one Brachypelma that I REALLY want! :drool: :drool:

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
I'm a beginner and I just received 3 B.Albiceps slings. My question is, are they good for beginners like me? and is there something I should know about in raising them?
Thank you in advance for tips ^_^

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'm a beginner and I just received 3 B.Albiceps slings. My question is, are they good for beginners like me? and is there something I should know about in raising them?
Thank you in advance for tips ^_^
They are fine for beginners. It'd help to start your own thread other than reviving a decade old one. ;)

Just know, that they will probably flick hairs.

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
They are fine for beginners. It'd help to start your own thread other than reviving a decade old one. ;)

Just know, that they will probably flick hairs.
Yes, I already did and gosh, the people in Arachnoboards are so supporting and welcoming, giving me pointers and tips on raised em babies. Thank You ^_^