Awkward situation

Kvathros

Arachnopeon
Well, I'm new to having a scorpion as I posted before.

Now, I'm having trouble of my little buddy to get something to eat. I tried dry worms (because I'm squeamish). That didn't work. I tried live worms... That didn't work. He actually grab a worm by the claw and let it go.

Fair enough, I'll get some live crickets. Maybe I bought some too small because they were crawling all over him and he was crawling in the corner... My heart sank. I think he's afraid but it's food! Any suggestions? I feel really guilty now but he needs to eat... Please any suggestions?

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
How big is he and how big are the prey items?

Also, where did you get him and do you have any information on his age/previous feeding habits?

He won't take dry worms because they only eat live so rely on the movement on their prey to feed :happy: Mealworms should be reserved for a treat as they're pretty fatty. I would suggest try feeding him at night as that's when they're most active. However, if he doesn't eat, I wouldn't say there's any reason to be concerned as they're not going to want to eat all the time. Maybe try again in a couple of days during the nighttime and see if his response is any different.

Good luck and keep us posted! :scorpion:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I see in the other thread you were having issues keeping things warm, which'll impact if the scopion feels hungry. A cold animal will be less likely to eat.

My scorpion used to take prekilled mealworms, so it's not impossible to have a scorpion who'll go for it... but they should be freshly killed or frozen, not dried. I went with it for convenience, as it's what my spiderlings were eating, but it wouldn't solve being squeamish. Prekilled just meant I was the one who had to kill them.

There are a lot of unrelated things that people call worms, so it helps to use the full common name. This might be mealworm, waxworm, earthworm and so on.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Your scorpion will eat once it's hungry... try once a week and remove if it doesn't eat it over night

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
you could try pre-killing live prey. That's how I feed most of my small scorpions big prey items.

Kvathros

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the tips. I'm feeding him pre killed crickets and apparently he is eating them (unless the crickets are Jesus Christ and they revive elsewhere)...

Because he is mainly active at night and I'm on the early shift, is hard to see him out and about.

One interesting thing though. I just found some white gooey stuff splatter in one side of the vivarium... Is this like the inside of a cricket that got crushed?

Last edited: