• Avicularia

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • psalmopoeus cambridgei

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

14pokies

Arachnoprince
In my experience I have yet to find a genus more similar to a poec than a Psalm....
If you put it like that then yes but at the same time its really just a generalization. Based on that you could also say H.macs act like psalmos and therefore H.macs act like pokies...

In fact I would say Psalmos act more like H.Mac and S.cals...pokies act and live very different to psalmos...

---------- Post added 02-12-2015 at 09:52 PM ----------

Haha this is comical. I am picturing this scenario in my head. I have had a single, super freaky experience with my MF Pokie regalis, she's about 10 years old and has jumped a length of 8+ inches at my brush before!!
That's awesome! I have never had a pokie jump at me...not sure if I'm envious or grateful!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have seen a few people compare pokies to psalmos...umm there is no comparison IMO...poecs are more methodical somewhat cognitive.. psalmos are spastic ...instinct tells them to (A) run (B) fight....(C) run and gun...
Poecs are more confident and almost always try to avoid my fingers while making a mad dash for freedom! P.Irminia seem to perceive humans as more of a threat than an opportunity to escape...
Dirt curtains that extend from the ground up, long-legged arboreal lacking urticating hairs, the list goes on. There is plenty comparison.

David VB

Arachnosquire
If you put it like that then yes but at the same time its really just a generalization. Based on that you could also say H.macs act like psalmos and therefore H.macs act like pokies...

In fact I would say Psalmos act more like H.Mac and S.cals...pokies act and live very different to psalmos...
Before even reading this, I was thinking of posting the very same thing ;)

Greetz.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Dirt curtains that extend from the ground up, long-legged arboreal lacking urticating hairs, the list goes on. There is plenty comparison.
My irminia build dirt tombs...my pokies stop burrowing at about 4 inches generally.. Like I said if you generalize it to basic characteristics then yes...if you look at behaviour then there is no comparing the two...

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Are you considering getting one of these or were you just interested in having folks compare the similarities and difference between these two NW arboreal Genera?
In a cage fight - Psalmopoeus every time*. In a standardized test - Avic takes the day. Despite CAMBRIDGEi being in the name, Psalmopoeus is terrible at math.

*Please note, this was for the sake of comedy, not an endorsement of any ____ v. ____ cage match. That stuff is sick!

brezo

Arachnosquire
I dont have any psalmo but my a. versis are awesome. The a. metalicas are more mellow.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. diversipes and A. laeta are arguably way more defensive than any braunshauseni. They may have their days, but in general I would say they're moody like Grammostola spp. - not really defensive.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I posted on a previous thread with regards to avics, the only avic the needs "dryer" and higher than normal ventilation is A. Versicolor. The others do very well with slightly damp sub, no misting, non-excessive cross ventilation, and a water dish. I'm speaking from experience, and in depth discussion with keepers of hundreds of Avics
I've never heard of this information, not saying it's wrong. However, I'd be curious to know what observations this is based on.

Define "non-excessive", and "higher than normal" these are entirely subjective terms which mean nothing to anyone reading it. Each phrase implies there's a specific amount of ventilation for other Avic species. I doubt anyone has conducted a scientific study on ventilation. Husbandry observations over time, sure, but those are not scientific. Those fall under the category of "this works, I'll use this"

---------- Post added 02-14-2015 at 11:13 AM ----------

Actually your position on Avics was my same position. Until today. I ordered two A. braunshauseni to give the Avic genus another try. To keep it on the thread however, these particular species is know to be particularly defensive compared to other Avics. Still cannot be compared to Psalmos as Coldblood explained in more detail.
Goliaths are skittish, I would not classify them as defensive. I own them, another board member w/them had the same observations.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
How so? I have heard that Psalmos are more skittish/defensive than Pokies and that Tapinauchenius are downright rowdy. Just curious what you are trying to say about these genera here.
+1
Bob I'm wondering if you have ever kept any of these species or if your just rehashing what others have said?
I mean comparing tappys to avics is kind of out there as habits and temperament go...
I have only maintained A.avic, metallica and sp.petstore and T gigas and violaceus but to me my experience with tapinauchenius remind me more p.reduncus than any avic..

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Need anything else? I've kept all of the mentioned species besides T.gigas. I'm not <edit>, you should know that.

Last edited by a moderator:

14pokies

Arachnoprince

Need anything else? I've kept all of the mentioned species besides T.gigas. I'm not <edit>, you should know that.
Beautiful pics Mr.grill..I wasn't calling you out and I didn't mean to imply you were <edit> in (sorry if it seemed that way)I was genuinely curious if you had kept any of them..
I don't know I just don't think there are a ton of similarities among them..

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful pics Mr.grill..I wasn't calling you out and I didn't mean to imply you were <edit> in (sorry if it seemed that way)I was genuinely curious if you had kept any of them..
I don't know I just don't think there are a ton of similarities among them..
I didn't mean to snap, so I apologize for that.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Meanwhile I was trying to make sense out of the Psalmo/Poec and Avic/Tapinauchenius comparisons....still am.