• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Avicularia versicolor

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A. versicolor breeding

Female is 4"+, virgin, 1.5 months post molt.

Male matured the beginning of January, has been a reliable eater, about 5", been ready for a month or more now.

I paired them early in the morning and they both seemed pretty eager to hook up. They rushed each other, more aggressively than I was prepared for, he backed her up all the way through the tube web, they paused a few times but I couldn't be sure on insertions, they emerged on the other end, I observed 1 well placed insertion, he started with the other palp and they broke it off for some reason. I kinda had to save him by cupping her but both were unharmed and corraled back into their enclosures. The whole timespan was 5-10 minutes. 4/19/09

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
this is a very bad report as i forgot when i mated the female. I really did not think it took but
it was around 3 months. and i just noticed a sac 8-14-09
no idea how long she has had it.
looks good so far

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
this is a very bad report as i forgot when i mated the female. I really did not think it took but
it was around 3 months. and i just noticed a sac 8-14-09
no idea how long she has had it.
looks good so far
took her sac today. found this.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Successful? - Pending

Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers - I got a MM last week on the 20th of september. About the 23-24 i tried to pair them, but they didnt seem interested (no dumming even noticed) in one another so eventually the male was removed. The female lives in a 10g so for 2 days prior to the breeding the male was in a rubbermaid inside the 10g. The male is bigger then the female (male is about 5" and female is only 4" )so lifting the female was no problem for them male.
I tried again on the 27th and it was sucsessful.

How they were paired -
Male introduced to females enclosue on opposite side. Sooon, the male was drumming, but the female still lacked interest. The male continued periodically drumming for about 30-45 minutes untill finially i was about to pull him out. I tried to move him to the side wall with a chopstick (both male and female were about 6" apart on back wall with female in her web along a corner). He didnt cooperate much, but he seemed more egar and then proceeded to the female drumming harder. they then began to mate vertically on the glass with the female at the top and the male easily supporting her. The mating went on for about 5 minutes before they both backed away from eachother and the male walked out of her tank. I dont know how recent his sperm webs were, so i hope the sperm is still good. I plan to reintroduce them weekly for about 3-4 more times for better luck as the first attempt was more to encourage him to make a new sperm web.

Over the whole breeding both were very gentle and cooperative with eachother. The one thing is my female may be molting within a couplem months so i dont know if she has enough time for a sac, but she is only 4" so time to sac shouldnt be too long. Ill update more as i go...

Any special post mating care -

Time to sac -

Care of the sac -

Time to emerge/hatch -

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
second pairing

Second breeding on Oct 4th took place. Again male was placed in a tank in the females tank 3 days prior. I am going to try again next week, but this time the males tank will be left in the females tank the whole week.

So , the male strolled about and eventually ended up over the females tube web. He finially begain to drum when he was about 5inches from her, where the first time he drummed on the other side of the tank. I didnt witness any sperm webs made this week, but im hoping i just didnt see it before it was torn down. When the male was close the female truned atound to face him and they bred. Slowly they were backing up into her tube web and into a little "room" at the base eventually they were so cramped her abdomen was against the glass and he couldnt get his pedipals to her, but he got a bit early on in the mating. This whole thing again probably took 45 minutes with about 10-15 for the actual mating. The male kept backing out and going back in to retry, but the female wouldnt move enough for him.

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Avicularia versicolor breeding

Mating:15th Dec 2009.

Kokon laied: 30th Dec 2009.

Kokon opened: 13th Jan 2010. (L2)

1.moult 17th Febr 2010.

Number of slings: 221

There were no bad eggs and died larven.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Z4WqjOA-64&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Z4WqjOA-64&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
4/21/10 female #2 bred to MM
5/28/10 female #2 produced egg sac
6/30/10 female #2 pulled sac, eggs with legs stage - 60-70 eggs?
8.4.10 molted to 2i
8.9.10 separated into vials, 84 total slings

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Mating: 26th Dec 2009.

Laied eggsac: 29th Jan 2010.

Open eggsac: 15th March 2010.. (L2)

1st molt: 23th March 2010.

Number of slings: 55

There were 38 bad eggs and 18 larvals died before the 1st molt.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Successful? - Yes

Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers – Male was received two weeks before the female. (Female arrived on March 10th) The first breeding occurred the day of the female’s arrival after seeing drumming activity from both of them while they were in tanks next to each other. I only saw the male make a sperm web once and that was three days before the first pairing.

How they were paired – The male and the female where both placed inside of my bathtub for all of the pairings. The male was placed inside of a small, clear container with a panty hose lid. I removed him once they both began drumming.

Any observations on the hookup – They were bred three successful times over the course of two weeks. There was very little to no aggression displayed towards the male. The longest breeding took place for an hour and a half, and in that time the male had the female hooked for 48 minutes. He got several very good insertions and often released the female only to hook her again and resume in a new position. She was very receptive. I believe they would have gone even longer but I separated them because I needed to go to bed.

Any special post mating care – I fed the female well on gut loaded crickets and roaches. She was kept in the high 70s to low 80s with about 75% humidity.

Time to sac – The female dropped a nice golf ball sized sack on April 25th

Care of the sac – I left her with the egg sack in till May 8th. Curiosity was killing me. There were 176 eggs total. 8 of witch where stuck together but where separated and developed normally. I put them in my incubator I had set up for them. On My 16th they popped into eggs with legs.

Sack before I opened it:

Sack opened:

Eggs in incubator:

Time to emerge/hatch – The first instars molted into second instar between June 21st and 23rd.
The final details – I ended up with *runs to go count* 63 healthy second instars. There are 8 that are stuck in molts that I don’t think will make it in addition to the 63. Over all, I don’t think it was that bad for my first breeding as well as my first egg sack.

The first second instar right after molt:

A completely hardened second instar:

*I had very detailed records as well as videos and pictures saved onto my computer. When my computer crashed, I lost all of it. This breeding report was made entirely from my memory and the old posts I have made on this site. As a result of this, I do not have dates for the second instar molt, exact breeding attempts, or details of the pairings. If I find the backup copy of my computer files, I will update this report with dates and videos.*

Attachments

Last edited:

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Successful!

Eggsac was dropped on 4/7/11 and was pulled on 5/4/11. At this point they were mostly eggs with a few EWL's sprinkled in. 1st instar was reached on 5/10/11 and 2nd instar on 6/8/11. Temps were roughly kept between 70-80 degrees throughout the entire process. Humidity within the incubator was most likely near 100%. Not sure exactly what happened but something went wrong with one of the incubators and only half of what was in the sac ended up making it to 2nd instar. The final count was somewhere around 145.

Skinky Girl

Arachnopeon
Double Clutch!!

Successful

Bred by Hellion299 (Frank IV) and Skinky Girl (Ashley)

The Avicularia versicolor slings in this breeding report are a product of our first double clutch!

Mrs. Lovette (female) was first mated fall 2010. She produced an egg sac 01-08-2011 and then ate said sac on 02-10-2011. We feel that this was due to over processing (flooded enclosure incorrectly).

We decided to allow her to molt before breeding again, however we had a gorgeous male hook out at the beginning of April 2011. Seeing that she had not yet molted and was not showing signs of pre-molt, we introduced them on 05-05-2011. The pairing seemed successful so we paired them again on 05-25-2011 and were once again blessed with great success! There were no special conditions for the female other than solitude and she was fed as often as she would allow- MM dubias and pinkies. Our home is generally 75 degrees.

Mrs. Lovette laid her sac (double clutch) on 06-08-2011. In the weeks leading up to the creation of the sac she began webbing very heavily, creating a multi-layered canopy (7”x7”) over her entire enclosure. Once the eggs were laid, she rolled the sac and took it down into her burrow.

We pulled Mrs. Lovette’s egg sac 07-06-2011 (28 days). We opened the sac slightly and found healthy 1st instars. The babies were left inside the sac and placed in a ventilated enclosure with peat moss/ vermiculite.

By 07-23-2011 the babies were darkening and becoming active.
The babies began molting into 2nd instars on 07-28-2011, 50 days after the sac was laid. Shortly after molting, the slings left the sac and began exploring the enclosure. No bad eggs were found, however we did lose 4 during the 2nd molt.

Total 1st instars: 208
Final sling total: 204

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avicularia versicolor - Breeding Report

• Status - Success

• Genus - Avicularia
• Species - versicolor
• Date female moulted last - 14/09/11
• Date male matured - Unknown
• Last mating date - 11/10/11

• Mating behaviour -

First pairing took place on 03/10/11

The male was introduced into the females enclosure and instantly began drumming once he found the cork bark slab the female lives behind. The female slowly came out from behind her hide and mating took place for roughly five minutes, male managed to get multiple insertions and once mating finished the male left the enclosure.

Second pairing took place on 11/10/11

Same as the first attempt, male introduced into the females enclosure and once in contact with her cork bark he began drumming again. This time the female didn't come out to greet the male and he decided to venture into her web hide (behind the bark). After a short flurry the female came out of the bottom of her hide and then mating took place, again they paired up for roughly five minutes and insertions were again witnessed.

• Tank conditions and temperatures before mating -

Female & male both kept in the same conditions temperatures of roughly 24-26°C (with a drop to around 20-22°C at night). Humidity for both would be somewhere in the region of 60-75%.

• Feeding schedule before mating -

Female fed a large brown cricket weekly.

• Feeding schedule after mating -

Female was fed two large brown crickets weekly.

• Date eggsac produced - 31/12/11
• Date eggsac removed/hatched - 28/01/12 (N2 found)
• Development times of nymphs - 32 Days (From N2 to 1st Instar)
• Total number of spiderlings - 84

• Additional notes -

Some photos of the pairings, nymphs & 1st Instars.

First Pairing 03/10/11

Second Pairing 11/10/11

Eggsac

N2

Dark N2

1st Instar

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Successful!

Females last molt 11-2-12
Male matured 7-4-12
Temp 80F Humidity 60%

11-19-12 Placed male with female. Male and female paired several times, and male got in long insertions. Left male overnight with female.

11-20-12 Male was removed.

Flooded the females enclosure several times.
1-31-12 Sac dropped.
3-2-13 Sac pulled.

When the sac was pulled there was 10 1st instar. All other eggs were either not developed, or stuck together.

3-18-13 1st instar darkening.
3-20-13 5 of the slings died.

3-21-13 Slings molted to 2nd instar. Total of 5 good slings.

Sabatta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Successful!

Female mated on September 27, 2012 and then again on March 1, 2013.
She made her sac on March 14, 2013.
I left it with her and she opened it on May 27.
I got about 25 good slings. There was a crusty clump of eggs that went bad in the sac too.

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

martin lees

Arachnopeon
Avicularia versicolor

Successful
Mated adult female 1.with a fresh mature male around end of November 2013.
I witnessed inserts straight away and paired them a few more times over the next few weeks.Kept the tank on my middle shelf at around 76'F.
On around 28th December 2013 she made an eggsack.
This was left with her for nearly 8weeks as I travelled to Thailand for nearly three weeks in February 2014.
On pulling the eggsack there were a good number or darkened N2,s.Which in around a weeks time molted to spiderlings.
Total 216