Avicularia minatrix

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, I just bought an Avicularia minatrix stacked behind about 6 KK's with normal Avic pink toes for only $20!!!! Anyways, I was wondering if someone could give me a detailed description of how to care for it and what the best possible way to house this little guy is.

P.S.
Keep an eye on this thread.... pics coming soon (she's a beaut!!!!!)

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
depending on the size, a well ventilated vial or kritter keeper will do.

i keep mine on peat moss and try to mist weekly or biweekly. i rarely see him, but i know he's in there in his little web tunnel. i don't provide any supplemental heat, just a water dish and a weekly roach or cricket.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ive got a female also very easy to keep, they like it on the dry side,KK is fine/ventelation etc.little misting weekly,same as the rescent post:) i hardly ever se mine also,she's always in her tube web.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So here's the pic I promised of my new T. Like i said, I found it stacked behind about 6 other KK's full of normal Avics and I noticed the pattern and coloration on his back side and realized that is was actually an Avic. minatrix. However, it is still very small... maybe an inch and a half on its best day.... so I would appreciate if there's anyone out there that can confirm my suspicion.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very nice spider:clap: it's quite possible(not definite) it could be a juvi avic avic,they look just like that,minatrix are more lightly colored and the striping on the abdoman is very detailed,but yours is still small,just have to wait till it molts out,either way it's still an awesome avic:worship:

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very nice spider:clap: it's quite possible(not definite) it could be a juvi avic avic,they look just like that,minatrix are more lightly colored and the striping on the abdoman is very detailed,but yours is still small,just have to wait till it molts out,either way it's still an awesome avic:worship:
There are I think three black bands that branch out from the big black stripe down the middle. It didn't come out too well in the pic and you can barely see the first set closest to the main body segment of the T. I don't know if this makes a difference, but my girlfriend and I really have our hearts set on an A. minatrix. Plus, the guy i got it from said its less than 10 weeks old, so I assume its just getting its colors now.... I may be wrond though

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Most of Avic's have stripped abdomens as s'lings and Juv's. ID'ing from those photo's will be impossible. Although , I would rule out A. minatrix , or that the spider is only 10 weeks old.

Later, Tom

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there is no way that t is only 10 weeks old... i have avics that size that are definitely more than half a year old. plus, a. minatrix is a very small avic, usually they get to only 3-4" as adults.
i don't think that is an a. minatrix either, many avics have that coloration as slings and juvis. so all you can do is wait - but maybe a better, clearer pic would help.